Monday, May 18, 2015

Karli Wood & Lola

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Karli Wood and I'm a copywriter in Cincinnati. I'm also a rookie with the Cincinnati Rollergirls. I married my husband Brandon Barb in 2014. Oh, and I run the newly-pressed blog, The Beatkeeper.

My furkid is named Lola. Lola is a 3-year-old female Boxer who is turning 4 in August.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Sometimes I pick up an iced coffee or cold brew so I have a boost of energy to take Lola to the dog park or for a long walk.

What's brewing?

I almost always prefer cold coffee - it wakes me up more. I like my coffee black, or with a touch of milk. When I'm dead-tired, I do black with two shots of espresso (a Black Eye).

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Usually I'm on the run when I take my coffee, so at most, a breakfast sandwich.

How were you and Lola united?

I was raised in a home that was always dog-friendly. When my 10-year-old Boxer Logan passed away while I was a sophomore in college, I was devastated. When I was a senior in college, I was finally ready to take on another dog. My parents allowed me to find the dog that suited me, and helped me with the expenses of adopting her. Lola came from Bluegrass Boxer Rescue, based out of Northern Kentucky.

Any treats for Lola on this occasion?

Lola's a sensitive little nugget, so I have to be careful what I give her. Her favorite treats are Nature's Animals bones. They're those individually-wrapped ones at the cashwrap at Petsmart. She dug through the box while we there there one time, so I had to buy a bunch of them.

[photo left: Brandon & Lola]

How did Lola get her name? Does she have any nicknames?

Lola got her name from the Kinks song. She has many aliases: Diva. Perfect. Nugget. Boo boo. Brat. Lola-Bean.

Tennis ball, stick, squeaky-toy...?

Anything squeaky or rolly. She loves to pounce on squeaky toys and kick around tennis balls. She loves to squeak her toys whenever Brandon or I are on the phone.

Postman, cat, squirrel...?

She thinks everyone (and everything) is a friend. There's a one-eyed cat that lives nearby that she keeps trying to befriend, but he's not a huge fan of her. She thinks squirrels are the cutest things ever and gets bummed when they won't come closer to her.

You're a real music maven. Does Lola show any indication of sharing your tastes?

Sometimes she'll dance with Brandon and me in the kitchen, but since she's in her teenage years, we don't always agree on music. But I play Otis Redding whenever I'm cleaning, so I think she's partial to him.

Who is Lola's best pet-pal?

Lola has a few good fur-friends. She loves Emme (Cassie's pooch) and my mom's dog Wren.

Emme [with Lola, photo right] is a hound-mix, and Lola is super-willowy, so their proportion differences are hilarious.

Wren is a 100lb American Bulldog that Lola loves to mess with.

What is Lola's most endearing quality?

The fact that she seriously thinks she's a human. She gets so confused when she can't go somewhere with us, or if someone is nervous around her.

If Lola could change one thing about you, what would it be?

That I wouldn't embarrass her in front of her friends.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Lola could speak, who should voice her?

Christina Hendricks. Lola's super-sweet and demure, and I feel like that fits her personality.

If Lola could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

You do know that it's my hand under the blanket that you're pouncing on when we play Blankie Monster, right?

What advice would Lola give if asked?

How to manipulate your humans.

Visit The Beatkeeper blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Lola is beautiful. I used to call my blog persona Lola. She was kind of slutty. I'm sure your Lola is quite chaste and well behaved.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete