Monday, May 17, 2010

Gerrie Ferris Finger & Bogey

Who is in the photo at right?

That's Bogey and me, Gerrie Ferris Finger. I write crimes novels and Bogey sits for photographs so he can be on the jacket of my book. Bogey is a male standard poodle, Westminster pedigreed, but who's bragging since he refuses to be trained to trot to my rhythm. He's eight going on two.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

They closed our dog park, a real bummer for Bogey because he can't bully the big dogs. He's scared to death of little pooches. So he's found a favorite place behind our house, with a pond full of ducks and geese. He chases deer and armadillos while I sip coffee at 7 in the morning.

What's brewing?

Starbucks French roast, black and strong.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Biscuits and honey.

Any treat for Bogey on this occasion?

Buttered biscuits and a dog chew.

How did you and Bogey come together?

My husband and I were recommended to a breeder in Atlanta. We made an "appointment" to view two black "standies." When they brought the "babies" out, I thought they were the parents. At three months, the pups were huge. Our breeder explained they were bred for height, at least 30 at the withers. Bogey, who was unnamed then, ran straight to my husband. Bogey had selected him, before his litter mate had a chance to get a nod in. Then we were interviewed like we were adopting a human baby. We were accepted with the caveat that if anything went wrong, we were to bring the poodle back to the breeder - no rescue outfits or humane societies, please.

Does Bogey have any influence on your writing?

Barking at geckos drives me up the wall. In my next novel, I'm using a poodle named Jolene as a cadaver dog.

How did Bogey get his name? Does he have any aliases?

I play golf. I'm a Bogey golfer. Many aliases, depending on his mood and mine.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Hates the first two.

Tennis ball, Frisbee, squeaky-toy...?

Has basketfuls of toys. No need to put them away, he takes them all out. When I have a book contest, he chooses the winner from tennis balls numbered and thrown in his toy box. [see photos]. They correlate to a list of names. We have fun.

Who is Bogey's best pet-pal?

Teddy, a labradoodle.

What's Bogey's best quality?

His humanity.

What’s the most amusing thing Bogey does? The most frustrating?

He runs away so my husband comes to "find" him on the golf cart.

Gerrie Ferris Finger won The Malice Domestic/St. Martin's Minotaur Best First Traditional Novel Competition for The End Game, which was released by St. Martin's Minotaur in April 2010.

Among the early praise for
The End Game:
A well-research plot and snappy dialogue - plus some fine rail-yard K-9 detecting by Buddy, a German shepherd, and Jed, a Labrador retriever - keep the action moving.
--Publishers Weekly
Read an excerpt from The End Game, and learn more about the book and author at Gerrie Ferris Finger's website.

--Marshal Zeringue