Friday, February 25, 2011

Adrienne Saia & Juno

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Adrienne Saia - I live and breathe Philadelphia freedom, even though I've been living in Colorado for three years. I'm a writer and a volunteer at the Humane Society of Boulder Valley.

Juno (the one with the big ears) is a female pit bull mix who will be five this month! She was found wandering the streets in Pueblo, Colo., and was brought to HSBV by a lovely woman named Renee.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

This is our morning routine, in addition to checking email, showering and rolling around on our backs and stretching (okay, the last thing is just Juno's routine). I think our favorite coffee dates are on I-70 W, on the way to ski at A-Basin.

What's brewing?

Always on my grind... ground coffee, that is! I drink caffeinated hazelnut coffee (decaf on days off only), french vanilla non-dairy creamer, two Splendas.

Any goodies to go with the coffee

Breakfast is usually a bagel, yogurt with granola & banana or day-old pizza.

Any treat for Juno on this occasion?

Juno's entire life is a treat!! Kidding... she had a rawhide knot last night, so I'm going to let her stomach work on that and her Science Diet first.

How were you and your dog united?

I adopted Juno from the Humane Society of Boulder Valley two weeks after I moved to Colorado. She had been there for nearly two weeks as well. She was my 25th birthday present to myself; $99 = instant friend for life. I got really lucky that she picked me.

Juno is an interesting name for dog--where did it come from? Any aliases?

Juno was one of several names I considered, along with Lucy (from I Love Lucy!) and Cleo. I liked the way it sounded and the movie was popular at the time. Since my 2.5-year-old dog had given birth to a litter of puppies not long before I got her, it seemed appropriate. She also responds to "Boo Boo," "Boo Dog," and "Dammit!"

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

Oh - definitely squirrel. And rabbit. She's a true terrier.

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

My weird dog isn't the biggest fan of toys. I wasted money on Kongs and cans of tennis balls right after her adoption. She does love to nibble on her life-like stuffed squirrel and this big puffy stuffed ball that looks like an Easter chick (thanks "grandmom"!).

Where is Juno's favorite place for an outing?

She loves being at A-Basin and romping in the snow in between downhill runs. In fact, she is always down to go anywhere in the car! We even roadtripped to California and back. Going for runs near the prairie dog preserve behind our apartment is pretty fun for her too.

Who are Juno's best pet-pals?

Sadly, she has very few pet pals. She can't understand why cats don't want to be chased and why dogs are freaked by her rambunctious play style. She has gotten along with my cousin's greyhound B.B. and a chihuahua mix named Kiara. Juno is definitely a people-loving canine!

If Juno could change one thing about you, what would it be?

The amount of time it takes me to get from bed to front door in the mornings.

What is Juno's proudest moment? Most embarrassing?

Proudest: graduating with flying colors from obedience school! Most embarrassing: escaping from "Aunt" Amy and "Uncle" Eric for two hours and returning home after rolling in poop or dressing as a squirrel for Halloween!

Learn more about Juno at Ex-Pat's and Geno's blog.

--Marshal Zeringue