Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Caren Gittleman & Dakota

Who is in the photo at right?

Dakota and I, but it is an older photo.

I am Caren Gittleman. In a previous life I worked in advertising for 21 years at Ohio's largest newspaper. I am now a freelance writer who has (perish the thought) a CAT BLOG! called Cat Chat.

Dakota is a 4-year-old male Shetland Sheepdog.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I am a caffeine freak. I drink coffee all day every day so it's pretty guaranteed you will find me with a cup!

What's brewing?

Today "Joe's Tall Dark and Handsome" (yes, that is true!). My fave is "Pleasant Morning Buzz" from Whole Foods. We use grounds and it is made in a Cuisinart coffee maker.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Quaker oats right now.

Any treat for your dog on this occasion?

Nope, he just had breakfast!

How were you and your sheltie united?

My husband wanted to fulfill my childhood wish of having a Sheltie. He searched rescues for months but there were none by our home. We were led to Dakota by my "bonus daughter" who told us about another Sheltie who was being sold but instead of that one we chose Dakota.

How did your dog get his name?

I have always loved the name "Dakota." I searched the meaning online. One of the meanings was "Trusted Friend" in American Indian. Can't do better than that!

Any aliases?

"Dakota Boda" "Boda" "Sheltie Boy" "Dakote" "Dakota Apollo" (my husband wanted the name Apollo, I didn't) "Bob Barker."

How do your dog and your cat get along?

Very well ... except when he is on a barking roll!!! Dakota is a major lover!

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Tennis ball alllll the way!

Where is Dakota's favorite place for an outing?

Ready for this? Dakota is the only dog in the world who hates walks. He thinks he is a cat (since we also have a cat named Cody). When he goes to the park he prefers to sit on or under a park bench letting the wind blow through his fur and watching the world go by.

Who are your dog's best pet-pals?

His brother, our cat, Cody and his Daddy.

If your dog could change one thing about you, what would it be?

That I would chase him alllll day long! He loves to be chased.

What is Dakota's proudest moment?

When he is being brushed. He could be brushed for hours if anyone is willing. He is a vain little guy.

And Dakota's most embarrassing moment?

Right now he has started a new habit of barking at a portrait of he and his brother Cody on the wall (which previously never bothered him) He barks and growls at it....we think he is nuts!

Visit the blog, Cat Chat with Caren & Cody.

--Marshal Zeringue