Monday, April 25, 2011

Ron Troke & Sophie

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi, I'm Ron Troke and I'm retired. My dog's name is Sophie. She is 4 years old and is a Labradoodle.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I have my fix every morning with Sophie who makes sure that I get up every morning after whimpering and nudging me into the morning light.

What's brewing?

I swear by a fair trade blend called Espresso Blend made by the Just Us Company located in Grand Pre in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, Canada.

I always have two scoops plus... for my Italian espresso maker. The result is an Americano which is what I always choose at any local cafe.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Besides a full breakfast, my coffee is accompanied with toast, biscotti or scone.

How were you and Sophie united?

Sophie chose me and my husband Jim, one day in March 2007. She was looking out a kennel window and we spied her looking at us. It was love at first sight!

Any treat for Sophie on this occasion?

Sophie sits on her hassock while I savour my goody because she knows she will get a piece of it.

How did Sophie get her name? Does she have any nicknames?

Sophie's name comes from my husband Jim's Gr Gr Grandmother.

Sophie has a nickname for sure. It is Licker which was bestowed upon her by Jim's 94-year-old father who says she tries to lick him all the time.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Sophie totally ignores squirrels, goes bonkers when you say `kitty, kitty` and has met the post lady twice with the exuberance she shows everyone who is human.

Tennis ball, Frisbee, squeaky-toy...?

Tennis balls used to excite her but she has grown to dislike these fuzzy balls.

She is very partial to the rubber orange balls. Squeaky toys make her moan and whine especially after breakfast when she is full and contented.

Where is Sophie's favorite place for an outing?

Point Pleasant Park in Halifax, Nova Scotia tops the list because there are numerous dog trails and for that matter dogs who give her a run for her money. She makes a point of sharing her orange ball with any dog that responds. Most do, and if they don't, immediately she drops the ball for them to pick up and she then encourages a chase. Smart girl, she is!

Who is Sophie's best pet-pal?

Sophie's best pal is Clancy, a Bichon Frise. He was rescued from neglectful owners.

Sophie is so good with the little guy and they have a grand time running and chasing each other.

What is Sophie's most endearing quality?

Sophie loves people and she is so kind and friendly.

If Sophie could change one thing about you, what would it be?

Sophie would want me to allow her to eat seaweed every time we go to the beach.

What is Sophie's proudest moment? Most embarrassing?

Sophie's proudest moment is when she catches her orange ball on the first bounce of the first throw.

Her most embarrassing moment is when she extensively sniffs someone new in places that are very private.

Visit the blog From Sophie's View.

--Marshal Zeringue