Monday, October 1, 2012

Amanda Labadie & Wicca, Vito, Boone, Pixel, and Brit

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Amanda Labadie, pictured with Wicca when she earned her ATCHC title (Agility Trial Champion). I am a dog trainer, and work at a dog daycare. I am also involved in dog rescue. We live in Lethbridge Alberta and pretty much every day is all about the dogs. The dogs and I play and compete in a variety of activities- agility, obedience, rally, scenthurdle racing, and herding!

I have five dogs!

Wicca- tri colored cardigan corgi, 8 years old, female. She's super bossy, and very intense in everything she does. She was my main competition dog until last year when she had to retire early due to injury. She is my heart.

Vito- black and white border collie/corgi cross. 5 years old, male. Vito has a bad attitude, and is lazy but very cute! My first failed foster dog. He plays aglity once in a while just for fun (when I can convince him to leave the couch...)

Boone- Pyrenean Shepherd (the shaggy one in the photo!), 8 years old, male. Boone was a rescue that I love despite his weirdness. He has the best sense of humour. Full of quirks, but scary smart Boone has been a challenge! He is retired now, but did have some success in agility and rally.

Pixel- Cardigan Corgi. 4 years old, female. Pixel is the princess. Full of sass and thinks very highly of herself. She is my main dog now and competes in Agility, Obedience, Rally and Scenthurdle Racing.

Brit- Border Collie. 3 years old, female. Brit [photo left] is all sweetness and smarts. Another rescue that stole my heart. She started my new obsession with sheepherding. She is very keen to work and we've been learning together!

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Sitting in the backyard watching the crew run around in circles...

What's brewing?

Tim Hortons always. I don't even own my own coffee pot. They do a much better job than I could!

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

The Corgis live for food. So always treats. Any kind will do!

How did your dogs get their names? Any aliases?

I like unique names so lots of reading, internet searching and thought went into each of their names!

Wicca was a naughty puppy so needed a naughty name. Her grandmother's name was Druid so I wanted a name that kind of went along with that. In my search I stumbled upon a Wiccan site. And I knew that was the name for her!

Vito [photo right] needed a bad-boy name, and he is very much a gangster. His name suits him to a T!

Pixel's name in her litter was Pixie- which was a little too girly for my tastes. With her Merle pattern Pixel was an easy stretch.

Boone needed a name that exuded confidence. He was such a timid little guy when I got him. I named him after an explorer.

Brit is very much a typical Border Collie so I wanted a typical Border Collie name. I've always loved Border Collies with lots of freckling, and although she only has a few spots on her legs the name Brit means freckled one.

How were you and your dogs united?

Wicca and Pixel were bought from reputable breeders. And the other three were rescues. I am a sucker for a sad face apparently!

Who are your dogs' best pet-pals?

Vito's only friend is a cute little dog named Lacey. He is a bit of a grump so the fact that he even has a friend is amazing!

Pixel loves everyone but really loves Kort, the rough collie (who was interviewed already!)

Brit's best friend is another Border Collie named Neena. She adores her.

Boonie doesn't really have any friends. Dogs don't understand him.

Wicca is too good for dog friends. She thinks she is a person.

Squirrel, postman, cat....?

Gophers! (or groundhogs, or ground squirrels depending on where you live..) Wicca is all about the hunt for critters but Gophers are definitely her favorite!

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Anything will do for Pixel! If it can be thrown it can be retrieved.

If your dogs could change one thing about the you, what would it be?

Less computer time for sure! They are all sitting at my feet staring at me as I type this!

What is each dog's best quality?

Wicca- her smarts. she is a genius.
Pixel- her looks. Well, okay let's say her temperament.
Boone- his sense of humour.
Vito- he's so snuggly!
Brit- her eagerness to do whatever I ask.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actors should do their voices?

Wicca- Sigourney Weaver. One tough chick.
Pixel- Jennifer Aniston for sure! She's cute, but a little ditzy sometimes. And I think would talk really fast.
Vito- Robert DeNiro of course.
Boone- Jim Parsons (think Sheldon Cooper). Odd and Quirky, and not a practical thinker.
Brit- Drew Barrymore. Just a nice, nice girl with addictive tendencies.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

What smells so great about dead stuff that you need to roll in it?

Learn more about Amanda and her dogs at the manymuddypaws blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment: