Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ashli & Pepe Pleasant

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Ashli, an Australian expat living in the United States. I'm a Freelance Writer, certified Personal Trainer and I blog over at But What About Protein?

The little guy with me is Pepe Pleasant. He just turned 2 years old and he's a 4lb Chihuahua.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

A celebration of Pepe's birthday, and the warmer weather finally arriving which allows Pepe to enjoy his favorite pastime - sunbathing on the deck.

What's brewing?

Green Mountain Coffee Organic Decaf House Blend, in my Mr Coffee coffeemaker.

Any treats for you or Pepe on this occasion?

Pepe enjoyed some steamed sweet potato from the batch I make for him each week, and a small spoonful of peanut butter - his two favorite treats.

How were you and Pepe united?

I was rather lonely after moving from Australia to the United States, and with a husband who often worked overseas and interstate, I wanted some extra company. I looked on a local website for dogs that needed to find a new home, and as soon as I saw Pepe's picture, I knew he was the one. We met in person the next day, and have been inseparable ever since.

How did Pepe get his name? Any aliases?

Pepe was named for the skunk Pepe La Pew, the Parisian skunk who strolls the streets of Paris in search of love. I have a love affair with Paris after going to school there, and when I saw Pepe, the name just popped into my head - it seemed to fit him perfectly.

The second part of his name "Pleasant" is a nod to my husband's southern roots, where "double names" are traditionally used. His name is usually just shortened to Pepe, but he has a number of nicknames including Peppers, Bubby, Little Man and Baby Boy.

Does Pepe play any role in your "But What About Protein?" blog?

Pepe is in my lap while I'm writing every post, and he is with me in the kitchen while I'm developing recipes. He always manages to "talk" me into giving him a try of any dog friendly ingredients I may be using!

Cat, postman, squirrel?

Definitely cat - Pepe loves playing chase with his big sister, a 6 year old cat named Freya Darling.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick?

Pepe can't go past a squeaky toy - his favorite is a little triceratops that he's doing his best to "de-squeak".

Does Pepe have a favorite place to go for outings?

Pepe loves going for long walks at a local walking trail nearby. There's so much to see - squirrels, deer, birds. It's a Chihuahua's paradise!

Who is Pepe's best pet-pal?

Pepe's best pet-pal is his big sister, Freya Darling. It took a while for them to get used to each other - Freya had been the queen of the house for quite a few years, but Pepe managed to work his way into Freya's heart. They love chasing each other around the house!

What is Pepe's best quality?

Pepe's best quality is his friendly outgoing nature. He loves giving kisses to everyone he meets, and he's never met a human or animal that he didn't like.

If Pepe could change one thing about you, what would it be?

That I would never have to leave the house, and that I didn't ration his sweet potato - he would love to eat the whole batch in one sitting!

If Pepe could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

I would ask Pepe if he knows how much he means to me and how much I love him.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Pepe could speak, who should voice him?

Olivier Martinez.

Visit Ashli's But What About Protein? blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments: