Thursday, January 16, 2014

Claribel Ortega & Pancho Villa

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Claribel Ortega, and I am the social media manager for The Combined Book Exhibit as well as being a YA author. My little buddy’s name is Pancho Villa, and he’s a six year old male Yorkshire Terrier.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We are having a hot cup of coffee at my sister’s house in Connecticut, me and Pancho spent our holiday there and it was very cold outside. Coffee is a part of my family’s dessert regimen, we take it very seriously (and we love it!).

What's brewing?

Nescafe coffee, with some milk, cinnamon, evaporated milk and sugar. To be honest though, my brother in law Lorenzo is really the coffee guru of our family, he always makes it for all of us.

Any treats for you or Pancho Villa on this occasion?

I try not to give him an human food all the time, but my mother always sneaks a piece of cheese to him when I’m not looking. He’s just like me, he loves cheese.

How were you and Pancho Villa united?

I found him from a breeder in Florida, and I took a flight out there to see my family and pick him up. He’s been following me around the house ever since.

How did Pancho Villa get his name? Any aliases?

It was my boyfriend David's idea to name him Pancho, I originally wanted to name him Turtle since I have a thing for naming animals as other animals. I didn’t like the name Pancho at first, but it grew on me and I decided it would be a good name for him. We have many nicknames for him, including Chito, Son, Luchador (which means fighter in Spanish) and ping pong.

Does Pancho Villa do more to help or hinder your writing?

Hinders, absolutely haha. He loves to lay in whatever sliver of space is left between my lap and my computer, and usually ends up with his head on the keyboard or walking across it. He’s only four pounds so he’s very little, but it's hard to type with a ball of fur on my computer.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Pancho thinks everyone is his friend, he’s chased animals before only to try and lick them or bring them his toys when he gets close. He has a mutually loving relationship with our mailman, he just says hi to him and gets petted which is his favorite thing ever.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

All of the above, Pancho is all about his toys. He needs to have all of them with him at all times, so he will take them all out of his crate and bring them into whatever room we’re in. His current favorite is a noisy doughnut toy I got for him at Walgreens.

Who is Pancho Villa's best pet-pal?

He has two! Genevieve and Yupi, both Yorkies.

What is Pancho Villa's best quality?

He makes me laugh every day, but I’d have to say his best quality is being there for me during tough times.Whenever I feel down, he sits next to me and it's such a comfort, he also loves to lick my face whenever I cry which makes me laugh too. He just makes my life better.

If Pancho Villa could change one thing about you, what would it be?

I would do whatever he wanted me to do at all times, even more that I do now.

If Pancho Villa could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Are you happy with your life?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Pancho Villa could speak, who should voice him?

The comedian Gabriel Iglesias.

Visit Claribel Ortega's website and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Hola, Pancho! What a valiant name you have! I was also named after a warrior, General Thomas Gage. Well, at least I think so although my mommy doesn't agree.
    By the way, Pancho, where can I find your grandma? Maybe she'll give me some cheese, too. And then, you and I can play together with all of our toys.

    ReplyDelete