Monday, February 3, 2014

Laura Greene & Vincent and Leela

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Laura Greene, I’m a writer from Boise, Idaho. That’s my dog Vincent, he’s a 7 year old lab mix. Not pictured is Leela, a 4 year old beagle mix.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

A cold morning in the City of Trees just seemed like a perfect time to sip on a hot drink and cuddle with my pups!

What's brewing?

I have a cold coming on so I’m enjoying some spicy ginger tea with raw honey. Super delicious!

Any treats for you or Vince and Leela on this occasion?

The tea is my treat. Vince and Leela are munching on some peanut butter & molasses biscuits.

How did Vince and Leela get their names? Any nicknames?

I named Vince after Vincent Van Gogh. I often sing the Don McLean song to him when we’re in the kitchen cooking. I call him Big Boy, as he weighs a lean 125lbs and takes up an entire twin mattress when he’s lounging.

Leela [photo left] got her name from the cartoon Futurama. She answers to Little Sister and Chunk as well.

How were you and your dogs united?

I picked Vince up from the Idaho Humane Society at 8 weeks. He was this perfect little ball of black fluff and I couldn’t resist his big brown eyes.

Leela came from a farm in a neighboring town. A farmer found a litter of six pups in a field where someone had dumped them. She brought them home and sent out an email with pictures and descriptions of the puppies. The message found its way to my mom’s office and she sent it my way. Once I laid eyes on Leela, I knew she was my dog! I picked her up the next day.

Where do Vince and Leela most like to visit on an outing?

Vince likes the dog park the best; he’s a social butterfly. Leela likes going to PetSmart to pick out toys and treats. They both love going for walks on the greenbelt where we’re shaded by cottonwood trees and can follow the river’s path through the city.

Who are Vince and Leela's best pet pals?

My mom’s dog Rudy hangs out with us every once in a while. They love the chance to play with someone new.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

They both chase squirrels through the yard and up trees. We have a wireless dog fence that keeps them safe and close to home, though.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

All of the above and more! I call them my trash dogs because they love playing with paper towel tubes and empty milk cartons.

What is each dog's best quality?

Vince is a lover. He’s happiest when he’s sprawled across his human’s lap. He loves big squishy hugs, belly rubs, and ear scratches. He has the best disposition –he’s never grumpy!

Leela has a lot of sass and it never fails to make me laugh. She’s always giving me dirty looks and harassing Vince. She thinks she’s the boss – and might be right. She has her own chair at the table where she sits anytime the family gathers. At heart, she’s a lover too. She refuses to sleep alone and crawls in bed with me every night.

Every day when I come home from work –the minute they see me get out of the car – Leela starts in with a high pitched howl and Vince follows with his deep holler. By the time I get in the house there’s just this cacophony of happy sounds coming from them. It’s the best greeting in the world.

If Vince and Leela could change one thing about you, what would it be?

They’d probably want me to be home more often. And I know Leela would want more treats, but she’s chunky enough as it is.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actors should do their voices?

Vince would definitely be Lee Pace. They’re both tall, lanky, goofy, and deep voiced. Leela would probably be Kat Dennings. Sassy and confident.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

I’d ask Vince why he’s afraid of the floor vents. It’s just the weirdest thing…

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet you, Vince and Leela! Wish we could go hunting squirrels together.

    Gage

    ReplyDelete