Monday, June 23, 2014

Eleanor Kuhns & Shelby

Who is in the photo at right?

That's me, Eleanor Kuhns, author of Cradle to Grave and other historical murder mysteries, and Shelby, an eight-year-old golden lab chow chow mix.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Shelby and I had just gotten back from a walk. I am an avid hiker and Shelby always likes to accompany me.

I am drinking iced coffee, my drink of choice during the summer. Shelby had just finished eating a dog biscuit.

How did Shelby get her name? Any nicknames?

Shelby is a rescue. She came with her name but we all call her Puppers. We usually only call her Shelby when she is in trouble.

Are there any Shelby-inspired dogs in your novels?

I based Munch, a dog in Death of a Dyer, on Shelby. I made Munch a black male but otherwise that is Shelby. I named him Munch because, outside of chasing groundhogs and rabbits, eating is Shelby's favorite thing.

What is Shelby's contribution to your writing?

Usually, when I am writing, she lies a few feet away, flopping down with a long sigh.

Who is Shelby's best pet-pal?

We have friends who have two dogs, Ella and Pepper. (Their last name is Mintz). She enjoys playing with them but is clearly the alpha.

Where is Shelby's favorite outdoor destination?

She loves hiking but we go to the Heritage Trail mostly. That is not a hike, more of a walk, since the Trail is a converted railroad bed.

If Shelby could change one thing about New Yorkers, what would it be?

I think she feels there are too many runners who are not running with her and too many bicycles.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Shelby loves all people except bicyclists. I suspect she does not see them as people but as some strange creature. She'll play ball but prefers to chase a toy rabbit or squirrel.

And she keeps guard on her yard [photo right] to make sure no little creatures creep in.

What is Shelby's best quality?

Shelby loves people, even the UPS man.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Shelby could speak, which actor should do her voice?

If she could talk I imagine she would sound like Kevin Clash or Ryan Dillon (the voices for Elmo). No kidding. Very high and excited.

If Shelby could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

I would ask her why she keeps trying to escape from the yard. Does she think there are more exciting things outside?

Visit Eleanor Kuhns's blog and Facebook page.

My Book, The Movie: Death of a Dyer.

The Page 69 Test: Death of a Dyer.

Writers Read: Eleanor Kuhns (July 2013).


--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. I share Shelby's suspicion of cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Shelby can love the UPS man she is truly special! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete