Monday, September 8, 2014

Lisa R. Petty & Sophie and Lola

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Lisa R. Petty. I use the R. because there is another Lisa Petty who writes beauty books -- so not me. I'm a blogger who also writes realistic YA Fiction. I am also an online English professor.

I'm with Sophie, my Black Lab Great Dane, and Lola, my Maltese who fears thunder and needed to be held for the picture.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Sophie loves car rides and I don't spend enough alone time with her.

We have two dogs and three cats total, and I'm a self-described crazy cat lady.

What's brewing?

We went to a little local shop called Mean Bean. We had planned to sit on the patio but it was pouring when we got there. So, we went through the drive through. There's a picture of Sophie and me in the car [below left]. I got a white mocha. They didn't have any dog treats.

Any treats for you or Sophie on this occasion?

When we got home, I gave Sophie and Lola "cookies." They both know the word, so I have to spell it unless I'm going to give them one right then.

How did Sophie get her name? Any nicknames?

Sophie was her name at the animal shelter. My son calls her Sopety McSope Sope, and I call her Big Moose.

How were you and Sophie united?

My husband decided that four pets was just not enough. Seriously, he had a Black Lab Pit Bull who died a couple of years ago. He missed having a "real" dog; he considers Lola the Maltese as "another cat."

Are there any Sophie-inspired dogs in your fiction?

Sophie "writes" blogs on my site. I have a Petty Pets category set up for when she or her brothers and sisters "write."

I have one published YA novel, Misfit Academy, but it was written before we adopted Sophie.

Does Sophie do more to help or hinder your writing?

A little of both. She inspires me to ghost write "her" blogs, but she is also very needy and likes to be let in and out throughout the day.

Who is Sophie's best pet-pal?

Lola, for sure. Lola plays with her even though she is ten years-old and Sophie is not even two.

Where is Sophie's favorite outdoor destination?

Her back yard. She loves running behind the evergreen trees.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

All of the above. She will chew on anything.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Sophie loves to chase our three cats. They do not enjoy this. Our one cat boxes her in the nose. She thinks he's playing.

What is Sophie's best quality?

She is a sweet dog who has never met a stranger. I have had to reach into her mouth to remove many foreign objects. She just lets me do it. She is also super easy to give pills to.

If Sophie could change one thing about you, what would it be?

She probably wishes I would spend less time holding cats and typing on the computer and more time playing with her.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Sophie could speak, which actor should do her voice?

Sophie's voice would be kind of like the "Which way did he go George?" dog that Mel Blanc used to do. So, it would have to be someone with a very dopey voice.

If Sophie could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

Why on earth do you eat poop?

Visit the Petty Thoughts blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment: