Monday, May 25, 2015

Michael Harwood & Reggie

Who is in the photo at right?

The good-looking one on the right is Reggie who is a four year old French Bulldog.

The other one is me – Michael Harwood, author of The Manservant (age unknown).

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Reggie and I stop for coffee every morning at our local coffee shop – Small Batch Coffee Company. We live by the sea in Brighton on the south coast of England so our morning coffee ritual is really rather picturesque. We are both creatures of habit so Reggie is sat by the door waiting for me by 9.30 every morning. He’s quite a clock-watcher!

The other thing is that I can’t even think about writing without a strong coffee inside me. It’s also an excuse for Reggie to have a run around on the beach.

What's brewing?

Always a skinny ‘flat white’ for me. If I’ve been up late the night before writing I might stretch to two. Reggie has a bowl of water. The staff know us so well that Reggie has his very own bowl that they keep especially for him.

Any treats for you or Reggie on this occasion?

I’ll pass on the chocolate croissants if I can but Reggie can’t resist a biscuit. To be honest he would have a croissant too but I drawn the line at that.

How were you and Reggie united?

I rescued Reggie when he was 4 months old from a tiny one-bedroom apartment on the 11th floor of a tower block in a run down part of London. He wasn’t mistreated but it was no place for a dog to be living. The minute I saw him I knew I wasn’t going home without him and he hasn’t left my side since.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

We named him after Reggie Kray one half of the Kray twins, the notorious London gangsters of the 1960’s. We thought we might get another Frenchie and call him Ronnie after the other twin – We might still do it.

Does Reggie do more to help or hinder your writing?

If he’s curled up at my feet as I write I find his company quite soothing but if somebody comes to the door he barks his head off which is not quite so soothing. The writing day can sometimes descend into chaos in which case I throw in the towel and take him to the beach.

Has Reggie inspired the creation of any fictional dogs?

Not yet but I’m planning out a mystery series which is crying out for a canine character so I’d be amazed if it doesn’t turn out to be a French Bulldog.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Postman, every time!

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Reggie will take all of the above. Preferably together.

Who is Reggie's best pet-pal?

Another Frenchie called Lady Podge – they are going steady.

What is Reggie's best quality?

He is just so affectionate and funny

If Reggie could change one thing about Sussaxons, what would it be?

Not much I don’t think. People in Sussex are amongst the most dog friendly in the UK.

That said I think he would like to visit our local French restaurant who sadly frown on dogs in the restaurant itself – even French dogs.

If Reggie could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Why do you hate the postman so much?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Reggie could speak, who should voice him?

Gerard Depardieu.

What advice would Reggie give if asked?

Chase the postman.

Visit Michael Harwood's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Lucky dog gets to run on t he beach everyday with his best pal.

    ReplyDelete