Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Rebecca Meluch & Jeremiah

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Rebecca Meluch. I write science fiction as R.M. Meluch. My first novel was Sovereign, a Signet paperback, in 1979. Goddess empress Sheila Gilbert was my editor then and now.

My dog is Jeremiah, a/k/a JDog or JDawg. He's seven years old, born in Ohio. He's Shepherd mutt. (Best not look too hard at his parentage as long as we're living in New York. He's part abominable snow beast.)

We are a blended family, so I must also introduce my husband, Stevan Apter and his little bitty doggies, Muggsy, who is an American Bulldog, and Gigi, a petite little Rottweiler who managed to keep her tail. The boys don't get along, but we never worry about break-ins into this house.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I'm back in the USA and I got a book release today from DAW. It's the latest incarnation of Jerusalem Fire. We are joyous.

What's brewing?

Coffee. In any guise.

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

Chicken jerky, stuffed into a Kong to slow them down.

How were you and your dogs united?

Well, Stevan is the virtuous one. Gigi and Muggsy were Stevan's rescues before he and I ever met.

My first dog was a beautiful darling purebred Doberman princess who had every genetic flaw of the breed. She died in my arms. I was devastated. I could not live without a dog. So I bought the sturdiest creature imaginable. Jeremiah filled the bill. And Jeremiah did the match making. Stevan came down to Mexico where we (me and Jeremiah) were living. Stevan got out of the car. JDog was instantly all over him, tail wagging, whole body wagging, licking Stevan's face off. Didn't think I'd ever marry again, but that was the one.

How did your dogs get their names? Any aliases?

Stevan's rescues have the names they were saddled with when he rescued them. My Jeremiah's name came from the Three Dog Night song. You know, Jeremiah was a good dog...

Do your dogs do more to help or hinder your writing?

Well, I put dogs on the space battleship Merrimack. Gotta say they're a help.

Have any actual dogs ever inspired dogs in your fiction?

Yes. Inga is on board the Merrimack. Inga the doberman ate the Sargasson ambassador.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Nope.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Nope.

Who is each dog's best pet-pal?

Gigi and Muggsy are a set. JDog is my appendage, though he adores Stevan too.

What is each dog's best quality?

Love. Loyalty. Goofiness.

If your dogs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

They would have unlimited treats. (Not happening, guys, not from me anyway. Go ask your father.)

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

Tell me if you're in pain.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, who should voice them?

Andre Braugher for JDog.

What advice would your dogs give if asked?

More treats, please.

Visit R.M. Meluch's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I love learning more about other bloggers and friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Jeremiah is one handsome dude. Best wishes on the new book. ☕️

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing read and cute pictures! Thank you for sharing.
    Keep up the great posts & Happy Holidays :)
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete