Saturday, September 2, 2017

Christina Steiner & Sentry

C:\Users\Christina\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word\019.jpgWho is in the photo at right?

My name is Christina Steiner and I’m a writer, mother of two daughters, grandmother of twins (boy and girl). I have a great love for dogs, especially Hungarian Kuvasz and horses and a passion for nature. On the left is Sentry, at that time about six months old.

Sentry is my Hungarian Kuvasz, soon to be eight years old on 11/11/17. He is large for his breed, weighing in at around 160 lbs.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I’m an early riser, but not as early as my significant other. This has advantages. Tom brings me coffee every morning, at around five o’clock. Sentry at this time is still lounging on his dog pillow next to my bed… unless he has to defend me against possible intruders. Well that’s his job. His roommates, four Chesapeake Bay retrievers are scattered around the foot of the bed as well. Sentry looks at me, “Is it time to get going,” he seems to ask. I shake my head.

What's brewing?

The smell of freshly brewed coffee (a custom blend of ground Starbucks French Roast and Costco’s Colombian San Jose) with two spoons of sugar and heavy cream whipped to perfection permeates the room. Irresistible. What a way to start the day.

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

In the meantime, I hear dog dishes prepared out in the kitchen. The spilling of kibble into the metal bowls wakes all the dogs to alert statues. With great expectations, they run out to Tom who measures out the portions for Sentry, Boomer, Harvard Girl, C:\Users\Christina\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word\052.jpgBetty Boop Boop and Flinn. Each canine has their specific kitchen corner for their dish. Treats in our house rare. Their favorites are raw turkey necks. They’re a special treat with the advantage that it cleans their teeth at the same time.

How were you and Sentry united?

Sentry is my third Kuvasz. I knew of a breeder in our area. I went to visit the litter when the puppies were six weeks old. He had 12 brothers and sisters. At 12 weeks, he was ready to join my household. At that time his name was Black Boy.

How did Sentry get his name? Any aliases?

Sentry as a puppy had the tendency to sit there on his haunches very quietly and astute, just like the queen’s guards. Hence fore the name Sentry. One of our friends calls him Yeti, the reason is obvious.

Do your dogs do more to help or hinder your writing?

Without question, they all inspire me. My children’s books are about nature and looking into their soulful eyes gives me a view into the world of animals in general.

Have any actual dogs ever inspired dogs in your fiction?

I’ve written a short story, where the dog was the savoir. The dog Balderdash was fictional and I believe a combination of all my dogs from the past.

C:\Users\Christina\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word\20160511_073531.jpgCat, postman, squirrel...?

Squirrels absolutely…. In my recent book Shimji the Channel Island Vixen, there’s a chapter where the squirrels make fun of the dogs in the dog park. Most postmen and delivery people flee when they hear the ruckus of the dogs in the breezeway. But the dogs just do their job….

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Balls for our Chessies, who retrieve with abundance as that is what they were breed for. Sentry will go after the ball once, then he looks at me and says, “I know how to do this, besides I need to watch over the herd… What are you thinking…”

Never a squeaky-toy, it’s a sure measure to start a dog fight. Sticks are to be chewed on.

Who is Sentry's best pet-pal?

Betsy Ross, a Chesapeake Bay retriever born on the fourth of July in 2014, who is in the show circuit at the moment. Sentry and Betsy shared a kennel when we had to go out of town, which was a great consolation for Sentry in my absence.

What is Sentry's best quality?

Sentry is a true gentleman. Despite his awe-inspiring size he is very gentle with children and old people.

If your dogs could change one thing about Californians, what would it be?

More off-leash parks and hiking areas. Though Ventura is great because dogs can surf and be leash free in many areas along our beaches.

If Sentry could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

This is a sad question. Because of Sentry’s age and size I would want to ask him, when I should let him go over the rainbow bridge.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Sentry could speak, who should voice him?

Sean Connery would be perfect.

What advice would your dogs give if asked?

Please, humans, just relax. Enjoy life whatever it brings. Tomorrow is another day.

Visit Christina Steiner's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I appreciated the opportunity. I had fun rereading the piece. Good fortune to you.

    ReplyDelete