Sunday, January 5, 2020

Carlie Sorosiak & Dany

Who is in the photo at right?

I’m Carlie Sorosiak, author of I, Cosmo, a middle-grade novel told from the perspective of an ageing golden retriever who’s trying to hold his human family together through a tumultuous year. With me is Dany, my one-and-a-half-year-old American dingo. She doesn’t like the camera very much!

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Every Tuesday, I take Dany to Starbucks. We go through the drive-thru, then have our goodies in the car before shopping at Hollywood Feed, her favorite pet food store. There, she picks out her treats for the week. Yes, she’s spoiled.

What's brewing?

I’m a sucker for chai lattes with almond milk.

Any treats for you or Dany on this occasion?

I always get Dany a pup-uccino with biscuit topper (basically, a cup full of whipped cream).

How were you and Dany united?

My husband and I picked her up from the Atlanta Humane Society. She was the last puppy left at 5 pm on a Saturday, because she looked terrible. Her face was bleeding. She had four different types of worms. And we said, we’ll take her!

On her forms, she was labeled “shepherd mix.” Turns out she’s a dingo. Who knew?

How did your dog get her name? Any aliases?

My husband and I are huge Game of Thrones fans. Dany’s full name is Daenerys Dogaryen, Queen of the Iron Bone. She also responds to “dingo.”

Does Dany do more to help or hinder your writing?

Hinder. One-hundred percent hinder. She wants to play, play, play, play… I do love this about her.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

All of the above.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Again, all of the above. Dany does not discriminate when it comes to playtime.

Where is Dany's favorite outdoor destination?

She really loves national parks. If I had to pick, I’d say that her favorite is Cowpens National Battlefield. Lots of great smells! Squirrels aplenty!

Who is Dany's best pet-pal?

A pocket-lab named Chloe. They love to stretch out in the sunshine together.

What is Dany's best quality?

Her intelligence. Funnily enough, that is also her worst quality.

If Dany could change one thing about Georgians, what would it be?

They always want to pet you! Dany is afraid of strangers, so I think she’d prefer if they were much more aloof.

If Dany could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

I’d ask her what happened before I met her.

She was found alone on the streets of South Carolina. How’d she get there? What happened to her mother, father, siblings?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Dany could speak, who should voice her?

Emilia Clarke, because it’s only fitting.

What advice would Dany give if asked?

There is no such thing as too much chicken.

Visit Carlie Sorosiak's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment: