Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Jan & George

Who is in the photo at right?

I’m Jan and this is our dog George, I’m married to Howard and have one son called Simon. We live in the county of Shropshire in the UK; I work in a local Technology Collage as a General Assistant / technician.

George is just coming up to his first Birthday, he’s a Welsh Terrier.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

A chance to catch up with a friend (she’s taken the photos for me ... thanks, Bridget) and to take George for a walk, which after we all need a drink.

What's brewing?

I had to ask what brand it was. I have never heard of it before--Café Bureau. It tasted fine... it was a latte. But I am more of a tea drinker.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

A Shrewsbury Biscuit. George was lucky he got some, too.

Any treat for George on this occasion?

I always have homemade liver cake with me, which he will do anything for.

How were you and George united?

We have had two dogs before George, both rescues; we decided that this time we would have a dog from a puppy.

I grew up with a Lakeland terrier, plus my husband always liked Airedales, so we decided on a Welsh terrier being on the smaller size.

On the 23rd January this year we picked up George at 8 weeks old.

How did George get his name?

I don’t know, it just came to me. I had George for a male dog or it would have been Molly if we had a bitch. We told the breeder what he would be called, so she had his kennel club name as “George the Lad.”

I did do Frankie’s Name Game, where you had to say how you got the name. I had some fun doing this post; like I said I don’t know, but I think the way the post ends is pretty close to the truth.

Our local supermarket is Asda’s (it is part of the Wal-Mart group) and their clothing range is called George; nearly all my clothes are from there. With George on every label!!! So I guess it was subliminal messages.

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

George loves a soft squeaky toy that we call rugby duck, he was given this by a fellow blogger Taffy, for guessing the right answer in a competition. He also loves Tennis balls.

George has a big birthday bash coming up: what's that going to entail?

We have three things going on, we started taking photos of him on steps, so Saturday Steps was born, each week I put a photo of him on steps. His birthday happens to fall on a Saturday so we have asked people to send in photos with their pets, or themselves on steps.

The second thing is where to go on his Birthday: there is a post with links to 5 different places--you just vote on the place you would like him to go. The one with the most votes is where we will go, taking plenty of photos to put up a post about it.

The third thing is the Birthday Bucket (a give away): anyone who leaves a comment between 1st-21st Nov will go into a bucket, which will be taken down to our two local pubs where the landlords will draw one ticket each.

For the full details pop by the George the Lad blog.

Where is George's favorite place for an outing?

I’d say the place we are at now, Attingham Park. It is owned by The National Trust-- it is dog friendly, and has many different walks to go on.

Who is George's best pet-pal?

We don’t have many friends that have dogs, but George does have a girlfriend that goes in the pub called Tuffy.

If George could change one thing about you, what would it be?

I’d like to think he wouldn’t want to change anything, but I guess more treats; I make him work for them.

What is George's proudest moment?

Raising £104 -$165 dollars for guild dogs for the blind, by doing a sponsored walk.

His most embarrassing?

When he thought he could walk on water!! Ended up a soggy doggie.

Visit the George the Lad blog.

--Marshal Zeringue