Monday, July 16, 2012

Nate Hoppes & Marley Girl

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi, my name is Nate Hoppes, and I’m addicted to Adrenaline. I partake in the occasional outdoors activity such as surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, basketball, swimming, mountain biking, kayaking, running, triathlons and lately Adventure Racing. Somehow I’ve managed to turn my passions into business, as I am an Action Sports Journalist.

More importantly the gnarly dog on the right is named Marley Girl. She’s a 9 year-old Lab/Pit rescue doggy.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Every morning, Marley, my fiancé Samantha, and myself wake up and check the waves. On the way it’s mandatory to make a stop at our local coffee shop Catalina Coffee to get Sam a Vanilla Latte.

What's brewing?

Sam enjoys the latte or cappuccino. Actually she likes anything warm with caffeine. For myself it’s ice coffee all the way.

Any treats for you or Marley on this occasion?

Marley never misses a morning Turkey Jerkey. No matter what she starts her day with jerky.

How did Marley get her name? Any aliases?

Most people think Marley was named after the legendary Reggae Artist, or after the book, but she was after 90’s NBA player Thunder Dan Majerle. She has several nicknames such as Super Mar Mar, Gnarly Marley, Marls, Marls Barkley and doggy dog.

How were you and Marley united?

I was in college in New Mexico heading to the horse track the day of the Kentucky Derby. We got to the track early and to kill time we went to the adoptathon happening at the fairgrounds. Not expecting to get a dog at all, I ended up not betting on Seabiscuit, but instead taking Marley home.

Who is Marley's best pet-pal?

Her cousin Ziggy, a black lab owned by my sister Kasey who watches Marley when were out of town, which can be a lot. So thanks, Kasey!

Squeaky toy, ball, Frisbee...?

Definitely… Meat.

Squirrel, cat, postman...? Squirrel.

She constantly talks with the squirrels.

What is Marley's best quality?

Mellowness…She’s the raddest and chill dog, goes everywhere I go.

If Marley could change one thing about Californians, what would it be?

Leash laws. She would tell the up-tight owners to mellow out on the leash rules as Marley is way better off the leash than she is on.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Marley could speak, which actor should do her voice?

He’s not an Actor, but Obama would be perfect as we commonly say Marley is the El Presidente of pooches. We call her MoBama.

If Marley could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

The meaning of life. I’m sure she knows the answer.

Visit Nate Hoppes' website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. What a great dog and great life. Marley CAN talk and has shared the secret to happiness in life. I'm sworn to secrecy, at least until the second cocktail. I'll ask her about the meaning of life next time I see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics of a cute couple and their dog :) Marley seems like a very happy dog! Have a good summer, Nate & Marley!

    ReplyDelete