Thursday, October 30, 2014

Jane Isaac & Bollo

Who is in the photo at right?

Jane Isaac, UK based author of psychological crime thrillers, An Unfamiliar Murder and The Truth Will Out. And four-year-old Lab cross, Bollo, my fun-loving trusted companion.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I have my morning brew with Bollo every morning before the rest of the household awakes. In the summertime, if it’s fine we’ll take it out into the garden. It’s our time.

What's brewing?

This morning we’re having a homemade latte.

Any treats for you or Bollo on this occasion?

There’s always treats for Bollo. And Bollo always thinks my treats are his too. Strangely he doesn’t share his with me. (I’m quite grateful really, but don’t tell him that.)

How were you and Bollo united?

We drove 60 miles to nearby Derbyshire to see him. I can remember it like it was yesterday. He was seven weeks old and all feet and ears.

How did your dog get his name?

Bollo was the name of a gorilla in a British comedy series called The Mighty Boosh. The name fits our Bollo perfectly – he makes us smile every day.

Does Bollo do more to help or hinder your writing?

Bollo is most certainly my partner-in-crime. When I’m facing a tricky twist or turn, or the mystery just isn’t cutting it, he tends to find the right moment to wade in and nudge me to take him for a walk. It’s amazing how much an hour of fresh air and rolling countryside can blow out the cobwebs and focus the mind.

Have any actual dogs inspired fictional dogs in your published work?

I have a German Shepherd and two Labradors in my books to date. Hmmm. Wonder where they came from?

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Squirrel. Always the squirrel.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

I don’t think Bollo could exist without a game of ball at least once a day. (‘Sport Billy’ is one of his nick-names.)

Who is Bollo's best pet-pal?

A beautiful Dogue de Bordeaux named Elvis.

What is Bollo’s best quality?

How long have you got?

He’s such a friendly happy dog. The other day our friend described him as a ‘happy fool in a black fur suit’. I guess that kind of sums him up.

If Bollo could change one thing about Northamptonians, what would it be?

Probably nothing. He races down the road every morning as if there’s a party at the end of the village and he’s missing it. He’s just in love with life.

If Bollo could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Where do you put all that food?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Bollo could speak, who should voice him?

Billy Crystal.

Visit Jane Isaac's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview on the mighty Bollo and his curious habits, nature, and treat schedule. Zippy and Kipling send their bark-y greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bollo, I wish I could run loose all through a village! Here in town, they want us, English Gentlemen in fur coats, to walk our humans on something called a leash. Believe me, it's not an easy task. Humans tend to drag their feet most of the time.
    Maybe I could persuade my humans to take me to the Old Country for a visit sometime. Then, you and I could meet and create new adventures together.

    Woofs from Gage the English Setter

    ReplyDelete