Thursday, July 16, 2015

Cynthia Lord & Milo

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Cynthia Lord, author of many children's books, and my eight-year-old Maltese Pomeranian mix best friend, Milo.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Milo and I are getting ready for work. We get up before sunrise, because that's when I get my writing done. But first, coffee for me and a treat for him.

What's brewing?

I keep it simple, regular coffee with milk and a little sugar. But I have a collection of special mugs and I choose one every morning. Some mugs remind me of places I've been, books I've written, or they were gifts from special people.

Any treats for you or Milo on this occasion?

Always! Milo has allergies so the treats have to be grain-free. Lucky for me, he is not at all fussy. If it comes in a crinkly package, he's a fan!

How were you and Milo united?

A few weeks after my beloved Bichon died, I was still feeling lost without him and my husband said to me, "Maybe we're just dog people." So I started looking in Uncle Henry's (a swap and sale magazine in Maine) and there was a listing for puppies. My daughter and I drove up and brought him home.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

One of my daughter's favorite books was The Phantom Tollbooth, and the main character's name is Milo. So that's where his name came from. We call him lots of names, though: Mo, Mr. Mo, and even Mojo Jojo.

Does Milo do more to help or hinder your writing?

He's a big help. I have a writing shed in my backyard, and he gets so excited when I say, "Let's go to work!" He brings so much enthusiasm with him that he always makes it fun.

Has Milo inspired the creation of any fictional dogs?

Characteristics of Milo are in all the dogs I write about. We also have two bunnies and a guinea pig that have inspired characters, too.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Postman! Woof! Woof! Woof! Milo has been keeping that horrible man from stepping foot past our mailbox for eight years.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Squeaky-toy, but only sheep or hedgehogs. Milo is most particular.

Who is Milo's best pet-pal?

Muffin, one of our bunnies, likes Milo very much.

What is Milo's best quality?

He loves his family with his whole heart.

If Milo could change one thing about Maine, what would it be?

He is only 13 inches from his paws up to the tip of his ears, so it doesn't take much snow for it to be over his head. He'd like to skip winter.

If Milo could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Why do you bury your rawhide toys in the yard and then dig them up months later and try to bring them back inside the house?

What advice would Milo give if asked?

The best things in life are simple:
Napping in a square of sunlight on the floor,
The sound of a familiar car in the driveway,
Being beside the ones you love.

And if you can't be with them, pull their coat off the chair and bury your face in it.

Visit Cynthia Lord's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment: