Monday, March 21, 2016

Cynthia Lenz & Chauncy

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Cynthia Lenz. I am a writer. My blog is called Cynthia Lenz’s Naturally Healthy & Happy Blog. My dog’s name is Chauncy. He is an eight-year-old Havanese.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Chauncy is in attendance for most of my beverages. Chauncy, like most Havanese, is very attached to his human, me. Havanese are often referred to as Velcro dogs for that reason. It’s fine by me. I prefer to be around him as much as possible too.

What's brewing?

My daily cuppa is loose-leaf Earl Gray tea with a pinch of organic lavender. I have been getting my Earl Gray in bulk from Nuts.com for a year or so.

Any treats for you or Chauncy on this occasion?

My treat today was an English muffin. Chauncy gets his treats later in the day.

How were you and Chauncy united?

I like to think Chauncy and I manifested each other. I very much wanted to adopt a dog. My landlord at the time finally relented and said I could have one, who was less than 15 pounds. I kept combing local websites for a female dog but the girls were all too big. My boss said, “You should open up your search and consider a male dog.” The very next posting I saw on Craigslist was for Chauncy! He was living with a loving family but they had way too many animals. They were heartbroken to part with him but they knew it was best for him. I am so grateful to them every single day for letting me adopt him!

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

Chauncy was four when I got him. So, I didn’t change his name or the unusual spelling omitting the E. I figured if Barbra Streisand could drop an A, then Chauncy didn’t need the E.

He has tons of aliases: Boo Boo, Puppy-pants, Bear, Little Man, Little Bear, Little Friend… (Sensing a theme?) The oddest is “Baby Ducks.” I always thought baby ducks were the cutest things I’ve ever seen and then I saw Chauncy. He was the cutest being I have ever seen. So, therefore, he must be… “Baby Ducks.”

Does Chauncy lend any support to your work as a health consultant?

He definitely lends support to my work as a writer. I have made several references to dogs on my website and Chauncy in particular. Chauncy and my folks’ dog, Lucy, also may or may not be an inspiration in another writing project, I am working on right now, which may or may not be fiction. Got to keep some mystery, right?

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

He will bark at the postman but I have to go with cat. Chauncy patrols the yard at regular intervals to make sure it is a cat-free zone. He will even stare into the neighbor’s yard, daring one of their cats to put a paw on the other side of the fence.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

None of the above. Chauncy is from a toy breed but he has no interest in toys. He gets excited about going on walks, cuddles and making sure the neighbors’ cats respect his authority.

Who is Chauncy's best pet-pal?

That’s easy, me!

What is Chauncy's best quality?

It really is hard to pick just one. Chauncy is a real gentleman. He’s not destructive. He doesn’t beg or jump on people. He will take a treat so gently from your hand; you’d think he had lips and was using them instead of his teeth.

Where is Chauncy's favorite outdoor destination?

Any place he hasn’t marked recently. I guess I would go with Old Westbury Gardens. We love going there when they hold Dog Days.

If Chauncy could change one thing about you, what would it be?

He would want me to work from home and never ever go out without him.

If Chauncy could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Ooooo, good question! I guess I would ask him if he knows how much I love him.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Chauncy could speak, who should voice him?

I want to say Antonio Banderas but that seems wrong since he has played a cat.

What advice would Chauncy give if asked?

Having a backyard is not a substitute for walking your dog. Walk as often as possible. It’s as good for you as it is your pooch!

Visit Cynthia Lenz’s Naturally Healthy & Happy Blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment