Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Michael Moreci & Charlie

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Michael Moreci. This is my dog, Charlie! I've had him since he was eight weeks old, and he's currently 15!

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Charlie, because of his age, doesn't get around much anymore; he lives in my basement because the floor is carpeted and that allows him much better traction (plus, he's still in the action with that being our TV room/kids play room). I oftentimes have light night coffee so I can stay up and do research involving movies and video games; Charlie's always there with me, my best buddy.

What's brewing?

Like Mike D said, I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

Any treats for you or Charlie on this occasion?

Sadly, Charlie has digestive problems, so treats are a no-no. But, he does enjoy a solid diet of boiled chicken, peas, and sweet potatoes, so he has it pretty good.

How were you and Charlie united?

Funny enough, I got Charlie on a whim. I'd never had a dog before, and knew very little about caring for one. But one day I was driving home from work, and I decided to stop at the shelter I passed every day. And there was this little ball fluff, and I couldn't say no (despite the fact that I lived in an apartment that did not allow dogs).

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

Alas, his original name that I'd given him was Chewbacca. I mean, look at him! He's practically a Wookie. But my wife's favorite movie is All Dogs Go to Heaven, so he got dubbed Charlie, just like the dog in that movie.

Does Charlie do more to help or hinder your writing?

Charlie's a great writing must. It's always a comfort to know he's around, and he's heard many, many ideas, good and bad. His patience is unparalleled.

Has Charlie inspired the creation of any fictional dogs?

You know, I've never written a dog into my work. I should change that though!

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Squirrels. All these years later, and Charlie still can't resist scampering after them.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Pull toys. No one enjoys wrestling over a stinky, soggy toy more than Charlie.

Where is Charlie's favorite outdoor destination?

The yard's his domain. He likes to wander, visit neighbors, lay in the shade. Again, he's not too mobile these days, but he does love to be outdoors no matter what.

What is Charlie's best quality?

Charlie is the most patient dog I know--nothing bothers him, nothing gets him upset. And in a house with two rambunctious kids, that serves everyone well. But it also speaks to his demeanor, which is so kind and gentle. He's lover, not a fighter, and we all love Charlie back.

If Charlie could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

I would ask him if there's anything else I can do to make him happy. That's really I want for him.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Charlie could speak, who should voice him?

Probably Seth Rogen.

Visit Michael Moreci's website.

--Marshal Zeringue