Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lili Chin & Boogie

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Lili Chin. I am a self-employed artist and animator who moved from Sydney to Los Angeles about 8 years ago to work at Warner Bros Animation on a show that I co-created and designed. I have since then produced an animated movie, been developing and pitching more cartoon projects, freelancing as an illustrator/character designer, and doing commissioned pet portraits and dog-related art.

My dog is Boogie. He is a blue-eyed rescue Boston Terrier and we don’t know how old he is. Boogie could be 7, 8, 9 or 10 years old. Boogie has a blog and a gazillion photos on my flickr.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

It’s my morning coffee time. This is how I kickstart my day. Right now I am at my computer checking emails, Facebook and Twitter. Boogie is on my chair, curled up around my butt.

What's brewing?

Trader Joe’s French Roast coffee made with an Aeropress. Half and half, no sugar.

Any treats for you or Boogie on this occasion?

Sometimes he gets surprise treats for just lying calmly in his bed. I have Zuke’s Peanut Butter mini training treats in my pocket.

How were you and Boogie united?

Boogie and I have been together for four years. I adopted him from Boston Buddies Rescue.

How did Boogie get his name? Any nicknames?

Before Boogie, I fostered two Bostons - Jazzy and Rocky. I wanted another musical name, so I chose Boogie (as in “Boogie Woogie” and “Boogie Wonderland”). My other choice would’ve been Disco, but Boogie won.

His nicknames are: Boogaloo, Boogs, Boogie Monster, and Pumpkinhead (because he has such a huge head for a Boston terrier).

Does Boogie have a favorite place to go for walk?

If I let Boogie take me for walkies every morning, he will move in the direction of:

1. the last place he got away with picking up food scraps off the sidewalk

2. the last place he saw a squirrel

3. the neighborhood pet store

Squirrel, postman, cat...?

Boogie is obsessed with squirrels. He wants to play with them.

Boogie hates the postman. Especially the one that hates him back.

Boogie is a little nervous around cats because he has been attacked by them. But he will snuggle up with friendly cats.

How does Boogie contribute to your art?

I draw Boogie all the time! He is my model and my muse. Not only is Boogie featured in the Mid-Century Boogie, Boogie On Scooters and Boogie Music calendar series, a book project and a Boston Terrier cartoon/comic strip, he is also in several dog-training-related poster illustrations and Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration & Aggression in Dogs, a book by Grisha Stewart.

[at left, click "Doggie Language" poster to enlarge]

If Boogie could change one thing about you, what would it be?

As cliched as this sounds, Boogie has changed my life, has changed me and will continue to change me. Boogie has taught me so much about dogs in general and I feel that I am still learning new things all the time. I have become a better pet parent and a more knowledgeable and kinder human being thanks to this complicated little dog.

What is Boogie's proudest moment?

Gee I don’t know. Every moment that he catches the tennis ball? That would be about 100 proudest moments per day.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Boogie could speak, who should do his voice?

Ha! I never thought about this before so I checked with some friends. So far I’m getting Christopher Walken, Charles Bronson, Danny Trejo and Bob Hoskins.

If Boogie could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

Would you like a girlfriend, Boogie?

Visit Lili Chin's website and check out her doggie drawings; also see Boogie's blog, and view many more photos of him.

--Marshal Zeringue

4 comments:

  1. Say YES! Pumpkinhead! Sweet interview. Hey, I never realised you were famous Lli! ;o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooooo cute. Never seen a Boston with two different colored eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this a lot, but was expecting something like Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee'" - that you would go to coffee with a different friend each time (with Boogie too, of course). Short videos that would introduce your cool friends to the world.

    ReplyDelete