Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Raelyn & Rose

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi! I am Raelyn. I'm a "stay-at-home dog owner." This is Rose, my beautifully unique Beagle/German Shepherd cross. I think. Rose is the best kind of mixed breed canine, a Mystery Dog! Nobody--not even our vet--could determine what she was! Rose is my Oops Baby, a girl randomly bred. She was Meant To Be! Rose is...nearly 4 1/2 years old, actually.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I simply enjoy any quality time with Rose.... As does she!

What's brewing?

I am not a coffee drinker. Sorry! My choice of beverage would be lemon-lime soda. Preferably Sprite. I am a Coca-Cola girl! But when I do order anything from our local coffee shop, they serve this delicious creamy strawberry drink.

Any treats for you or your dog on this occasion?

Rose, being part Beagle, will eat nearly anything if food is concerned! Seriously.... Food that is both healthful, and bad for her, unfortunately! But.... I purchase Rose chicken-flavored chewy Milkbones. Plus I bake home-made crunchy biscuits! She is my Little Helper in the kitchen whenever I mix together batter and pull steaming-hot treats out of our oven....

How were you and Rose united?

I adopted Rose from a local dog shelter. It was "love at first bay." We saw her sweet face staring at us through a secure kennel, did a loop around the shelter, returned.... And Rose "sang" to us! When we walked her toward an enclosed area, I fell in love!

How did your dog get her name? Any aliases?

During our walk at that local shelter, there was a rose growing. I do not recall its color. It was late September, so the flower stood proudly displaying any last bit of Summer! For Autumn lurked around our corner.... My first memory of Rose is sniffing that rose! Her "pet" names are, thus far: Rosie; Babe-Girl; Rosy-Posey; Lazy Bones; Curious Rose; Babe; Comfort Dog. As the years pass by, she will inevitably earn even more aliases!

Does Rose have a favorite place to go for an outing?

Anywhere she is allowed! Rose enjoys rides in our minivan, staring out the windows at a passing world! She is wonderful for hiking adventures, curious and social toward everybody, man or beast!

Squirrel, postman, cat...?

Rose loves chasing squirrels out of our backyard! To her, those bushy-tailed rodents are not supposed to be here! We own a cat, who was our pet first. Somehow, I think Rose knows that! Respect, or fear, I am not sure, but she allows this feline to "boss" her around! It is cute! Our cat will stand in a doorway, and Rose just sits, waiting for the feline to move.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Plush animals. Or stuffed critters of unknown form. They can have squeakers, but apparently Rose does not care about that! In fact, her baby blue puppy recently lost its "voice." Now she favors that toy over anything else!

What is your Rose's best quality?

Her tail. It thumps my mattress in greeting, and when she is standing, spins like the rotator blades of a helicopter! Rose seldom ever "smiles" -- she does that with her tail.

If Rose could change one thing about you, what would it be?

She already has been changing me! Rose was born different, being a Beagle/German Shepherd cross. She had no choice in that matter! I was born different, being a person who lives with learning disabilities. In so many ways, we're the same! Rose would never complain about being random bred, so why should I feel sorry for my disadvantages? She is still teaching me....

What is Rose's proudest moment?

Last Fourth of July weekend, our neighborhood shot off fireworks and bottle rockets. Nearly all Summer long! Our little world practically became a war zone -- It was insane! Rose suffers from what my local dog newsletter refers to as "noise phobia." So she was obviously frightened during the entire firework season. Meanwhile, I stroked Rose's velvet-soft fur for comfort. This was our first Independence Day together, and I wanted her to feel loved! Afterward, when everybody's expensive dangerous fireworks were gone, the skies finally seemed silent. But Rose refused to believe that! I spent all Summer long--two lengthy months--working with my strong-willed girl! Bottle rockets no longer boomed around us. Nonetheless, they still exploded within Rose's head. I learned something about my dog during this ordeal, however: Being a "food-lovin'" Beagle cross, she is treat-motivated!

If Rose could speak in the movie about your life, who should do her voice?

Bonnie Hunt. This comedian has a great sense of humor and she always plays the best friend!

Visit Raelyn's Beautifully Unique blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

12 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! go Raelyn!!! finally, i have been dying to see this! and finally i get to see a pic of you guys together, ahhhh xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marshal....
    Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!! I am freaking out.... In a positive way!! This looks amazing!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. charlene and Storm....
    Thank-you for taking the first step in allowing me to be on Coffee With A Canine.... You are an amazing friend!! ;-D
    Glad you liked the picture of Rose and I together!! ;op

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose is such a gorgeous dog. You and she are both so lucky to have found each other. Thanks for sharing her with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy....
    Your welcome. My pleasure!! This is truly a fantastic blog!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) Loved reading this about Raelyn! Her blogs amazing so it was nice to read such a great interview with her and I really liked that I got to see both Rose and you together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacey....
    Thank-you!! I feel like I'm wearing out those two words!! ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank-you, Rama's Mama!! You were on Coffee With A Canine, as well.... Now I need to read your Q&A!! I will, I will, I will!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose is awesome-looking! can't wait to check out the blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren @ Life With Desmond....
    Thank-you!! Yes, do check out my blog. And leave a comment!! ;-}
    I am going over to yours now!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Raelyn my name is Jenny I have a dog called Dolly who is exactly like Rose I now know she is Beagle/Alsatain cross

    ReplyDelete