Friday, February 22, 2013

Mollie Green & Stickers

Who is in the photo at right?

The photo at the right features me and my dog Stickers trying to make up our minds at the Fido-to-Go dog food truck in our hometown, Chicago. My name is Mollie Green, and I own a greeting card company, La Familia Green.

Stickers is a white pit bull mix with spotted ears. She will be seven in April.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I do enjoy grabbing a vanilla latte during Stickers' long walk everyday. But most mornings, my boyfriend, Pete, makes coffee, and I enjoy two cups while returning emails---with Stickers at my feet. Unless she is still in bed! I work from home, and I love having Stickers (and my cat Lemur) hang out in the studio while I work.

What's brewing?

Dunkin' Donuts with Splenda and skim milk in an "M" mug.

Any treats for you or Stickers on this occasion?

I've been trying to keep Stickers from "sharing" food with me---she is particularly fond of Cheez-its. But sometimes those sad eyes just get to me! I just gave her a Kong Wobbler---which distributes treats when nosed around. I love watching her strategize how to free the treats.

How did Stickers get her name? Any nicknames?

I collected stickers as a child. And my brother suggested the name when I adopted her. It really fits her well---from the cute spots on her ears to her stubborn insistence that we not turn back home just yet on walks. Her nickname is snuggie, or snugs, since she is such a solid snuggler.

Does Stickers make any contribution to your creative work?

She is a huge inspiration. Both as a model and a muse. Her likeness is featured on many of my designs. And adopting her exposed me to amazing local rescues, which motivated me to donate a percentage of all sales to animal charities.

How were you and Stickers united?

Five years ago, I began visiting the dogs at PAWS Chicago no-kill shelter. One Monday morning, I saw Stickers looking out her suite door, and my heart melted. I adopted her that afternoon. Stickers had been rescued from death row at a shelter in Kentucky. PAWS transferred her to Chicago. Thank you, PAWS!

Who is your dog's best pet-pal?

Her best pal is my parents' dog Mattie. Mattie, my former foster dog, is also a pittie mix and a PAWS alum. She was found as a stray, and can be very fearful. But she adores Stickers. They love to wrestle and play tug of war and take over the entire bed. Stickers also loves her buddies in the Chicago SociaBulls---our dog pack walking group.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Stickers favors a plastic toy steer that I picked up at a grocery store in Lubbock, TX. She will fetch it on command. And it has has a squeaker that she seems to "speak" with. She also loves playing fetch with Pete and gnawing on braided rawhide chews.

What is Stickers's best quality?

Stickers is very friendly. She has a great smile and a waggy tail. She especially wags her tail when we see children and construction workers!

If Stickers could change one thing about you, what would it be?

That I stop spending so much time on Facebook and Twitter reading stories about other dogs.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Stickers could speak, which actor should do her voice?

I do a pretty good Stickers voice. But I think I would cast Emma Stone to voice her in a movie.

If Stickers could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

"Are you secretly in love with your cat buddy, Lemur?"

Visit the site for La Familia Green greeting card company.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Snicker is very cute. And I love a dog that is an inspiration to others (the cards).
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete