Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pat Wahler & Indy

Who is in the photo at right?

There's nothing like cuddling up to a sweet Miniature Schnauzer. I'm Pat Wahler and this handsome guy is my best buddy, Indy. We've been together for quite a while. He'll be 13 years old in March. I won't tell you how old I'll be.

To keep Indy living in the style to which he's become accustomed, I write grants by day. At night, I write essays and fiction.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

The wind is howling outside and the temperature is in the teens. If that isn't a good reason to have a steaming mug in hand, I don't know what is.

What's brewing?

A soothing green tea is the only way to go, unless I decide to get wild and throw calorie-counting to the wind. Then bring on a sassy Chai.

Any treats for you or Indy on this occasion?

Would you believe popcorn? We're both extraordinarily fond of popcorn.

How were you and Indy united?

I fell in love with all-black Miniature Schnauzers after rescuing one from a shelter. Once I lost my first black mini, I searched every shelter in the area to find another one. I had no luck. Finally I gave up and found a reputable breeder about an hour's drive from home. Indy wasn't "show quality", so the breeder agreed to sell him to me when he was only 8 weeks old. Her loss, my gain!

How did Indy get his name? Any aliases?

His official name is Mr. Indiana Bones. What else could one call such a handsome and adventurous pup?

Does your dog do more to help or to hinder your writing?

Indy is a definite help. He sleeps beside my desk while I work. His job is to be my role model for calm relaxation. Now that Indy's become a senior citizen, he excels at that task.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

It takes a lot to rile up Indy these days. However, a squirrel that has the nerve to hang out in the back yard is an example of something that still ruffles his fur.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Yes, yes, and yes. Indy loves to chase a tennis ball, squeeze a squeaky toy, or chew a sturdy bone. Tug is also a great game. Indy has a strange penchant for empty water bottles. He loves to carry them around and scrunch them just enough to make them crackle.

Does Indy have a favorite place to go for outings?

Indy enjoys walks around the neighborhood, but he especially loves to ride in the car. It doesn't matter where we go. Even the V-E-T. doesn't bother him, as long as he gets to be part of the action.

Who are Indy's best pet-pals?

Indy's best buddy is his cat, Bogey. Bogey is a dog in a cat suit. They have a favorite game that we call Surprise Attack. Someone gets surprised, and then someone gets attacked.

What is Indy's best quality?

He's a sweet old gentleman and extremely patient with the craziness that goes on all around him. As instigator of most of the craziness that goes on all around him, I appreciate that.

If your dog could change one thing about you, what would it be?

He'd want me to stay home more so he could increase his warm lap time. H'mm. Maybe I can convince Hubby that's a good reason to take early retirement.

If Indy could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

What did I do to deserve such complete love and devotion from you and why can't I have more than one question? (Does that count as one question?)

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Indy could speak, who should voice him?

With a name like Indiana Bones, only one actor would do. Harrison Ford.

Visit Pat Wahler's Critter Alley blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting us. Indy and I loved the visit!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indy is a cutie. I can see him being a bigger star than Benji when he gets to Hollywood. Good to get to know more about your fur baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing - Indy looks such a sweet boy :-) - woofs and licks from Magic xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great hearing more about you Indy! We will have to try that surprise attack game at our place -- sounds like fun!!! That was a pawsome post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I have an even greater appreciation now for the adorable Indy. And now every time I see Harrison Ford I'll think of you-know-who. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Indy, you are so loved! You are leading a charmed life thanks to your Pat and Bogie.

    ReplyDelete