Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Maggie Horton & Ally

Who is in the photo at right?

I am Maggie Horton, I am an office manager for S & M Air Tool Service. We work on air tools for trucking companies and railcars. I also do graphic design work for Signs of Sophie. There we do all sorts of vinyl work. We do signs, banners, wall graphics, personalized market totes and many other personalized items.

Ally is a tiny toy poodle and she just turned 2 years old.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Just spending the morning together after a busy week at the office. (She goes to work with me every day so she knows how busy we’ve been!) We love to spend Saturday mornings catching up on blogs, TV, and laundry.

What's brewing?

Well, since its 100+ degrees here in the deep south we’re skipping on coffee this morning and we’re have smoothies. I love a good strawberry banana smoothie made with fresh strawberries and bananas.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

No, not for me.

Any treat for your dog on this occasion?

Ally loves the Three Dog Bakery treats, so she’s having a “chocolate chip cookie."

How were you and Ally united?

Growing up my family had a teacup poodle that we loved dearly. He was attacked by another dog and died while I was in middle school. Ever since then I have wanted another one but it was never the right time. After my husband and I got married he went to the night shift at work and I was so lonely. I knew it was the perfect time to get my poodle puppy. I found a local breeder in the paper and went to see the one pup she had left. It was love at first sight. She was the runt in the litter and the last one to be adopted. She couldn’t have been more perfect for us.

How did Ally get her name? Any aliases?

I graduated from The University of Alabama and follow Bama football religiously. I knew I wanted her name to be something to do with the school but I didn’t want it to be to oblivious. Lots of the pets in these parts are named Bama, Bear, and Saban. I wanted something more subtle. I decided on Ally Bama for her name before I even found her. We call her Ally most of the time. I also call her Ally Bug, Bug, Buggy and Ally B.

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

Ally is a lover. She rarely even notices cats or squirrels. She will announce the postman or UPS mans arrival by howling like a wolf. But as soon as he reaches the door she’s trying to get his attention so he’ll love on her.

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Squeaky-toy for sure. She loves to hear them squeak. It is amazing how quickly she can find the squeaker and make it work! She loves tennis balls but her mouth is to small to pick them up so she gets frustrated with them.

Where is Ally's favorite place for an outing?

She loves the lake. She also loves to go to her grandparents houses. She loves “daycare” (that’s what we call the office because everyone brings their dogs!) but I wouldn’t really consider that an outing since she goes every day. She also loves to go to Tuscaloosa during football season to tailgate [photo right].

Who is Ally's best pet-pal?

Well, she loves her big brother and sister Sam and Gracie. (They are both 100lb labs that stay outside and in the basement.) Ally goes down every night with me to let them in and feed them. Her best pooch friends are probably at daycare, Molly, Isabella, Sophie, Lucy and Chloe. They play all day everyday. She also has a “cousin” Bella that stays with us sometimes. They have a ball when they’re together. Then there’s Champ her other cousin that she has a love/ hate relationship with. They play together but also get very jealous and compete with each other for Granddaddy and Nana’s attention. She is a very social dog!

What is your dog's best quality?

I think Ally’s best quality is that she is the gentlest dog and is very easy going. I have several nieces and nephews and she will let them pick her up and pull her ears and she just whimpers if they hurt her. She is so good with them. She’s never been aggressive toward them. We can take her anywhere. She is so laid back and just goes with the flow.

What is Ally's proudest moment? Her most embarrassing?

Her proudest moment was probably when she was voted “People’s Choice” at the Gardendale Magnolia Festival Pooch Parade. She was loved by everyone she met. The kids love her because she is so small and they can just pick her right up and love on her.

Her most embarrassing was probably when I made her dress up for Halloween as a bumble bee [photo left]. She doesn’t mind wearing clothes but she’s not too fond of costumes.

--Marshal Zeringue