Friday, August 27, 2010

Matt Hewitt & Zilla

Who is in the photo at right?

That would be me, Matt Hewitt. I’m associate editor of Michigan Oil & Gas News, a trade publication based in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

Zilla is a two and a half year old female Pomeranian. The photo was taken by my friend Danni Holt.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Drinking coffee while staying up at the Grandparent's cabin on Grape Island in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

What's brewing?

Flavored Biggby Coffee grounds, Michigan Cherry. Brewed by my fiancée Kate's grandma.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Bacon and Orzo Fruit Salad. Breakfast of champions!

Any treat for Zilla on this occasion?

Not today, but she claims all bacon crumbs that don't make it into my mouth.

How were you and Zilla united?

My fiancée and I bought her from a breeder. I was hesitant about getting a dog at first. I didn’t think I would enjoy the responsibility, especially when I was starting up my first career job. Zilla instantly grew on me and instantly weaseled her way into my heart.

How did Zilla get her name? Any aliases?

My fiancée and I were browsing the internet and noticed some photos of a Pomeranian shaved and dyed to look like the Mozilla Firefox internet browser logo. We named her Mozilla Firefox in spirit of the photos, because she looks like a little fox. We call her Zilla for short, but also call her Zilla-monster, a play off of Gila monster. Sometimes we call her Snorelax after the Pokemon, because whenever she snuggles with me I tend to fall asleep. Plus I love the irony of her being so small and Snorelax being huge.

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

Zilla will bark at all three. She doesn’t discriminate based on size.

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Squeaky-toy. She prefers something small and floppy, that way she can easily grip it with her little mouth.

Where is Zilla's favorite place for an outing?

She loves running around and chasing squirrels on Grape Island. We only get to make that trip once a year though. We often take her to my fiancée’s parents farm so that she can get exercise and play with the other animals.

Who is Zilla's best pet-pal?

We just recently got a cat, which we named Lando Calrissian after the character in Star Wars. They get along for the most part. Zilla chases Lando all the time and Lando loves his exercise. It’s a nice little game they play. She also likes to play with our next door neighbor's dog Hendrix. We think of them as boyfriend and girlfriend.

What is Zilla's best quality?

She is an awesome snuggler. Whether it be napping on the couch, or in the bed at night. She loves to burrow under the blankets and lay right against the backs of my knees.

What is Zilla's proudest moment? Her most embarrassing?

Zilla’s proudest moment would have to be when she first learned to play catch. I tried to teach her to fetch a toy when I said “Do my bidding!” and after a couple of weeks she caught on. Her most embarrassing moment would probably be whenever she is naughty and grabs something off our coffee table. She always runs underneath our papazan chair in shame once she gets caught.

Visit Matt Hewitt's blog and personal website.

--Marshal Zeringue