Monday, September 17, 2012

Bev Kaye & Roxy

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Bev Kaye, the founder and Co-CEO of a Talent Management consulting organization called Career Systems International. I lead a group of 40 professionals in delivering learning solutions and consulting to Fortune 1000 companies on the subject of engagement, retention and career development. I live in Sherman Oaks with my husband Barry, Roxy, and our sometimes visitor, my daughter Lindsey.

I've just finished co-authoring my latest book titled Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want. Any manager of talent reading this blog should get the book and read it to your dog!

Next to me in the picture is my good friend, Roxy! As you can see she has an unusual look! (And that's what attracted me to her in the first place!) Roxy is 13 and is a Dalmatian/Terrier mix. I love black and white...may favorite colors in what I wear and in my home! Roxy always matches!

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Roxy and I have coffee together every morning that I am home. (Keurig Coffee Maker...any bold dark blend!) Alas, I travel a great deal, so it's not a regular thing. Roxy knows what it means when I put my suitcase on the bed, she's been known to go into a depression and refuse to eat after I leave.

Any treats for you or Roxy on this occasion?

My dog loves Nestle Purina anything! Since they are a client of ours, I make sure that we always have their products on our shelves! (I was there recently to meet with the client and brought pictures of all the dogs in our organization.) Over coffee, Roxy prefers Beggin’ Strips or Dental Chewz!

How did Roxy get her name? Any aliases?

My daughter named Roxy after her favorite clothing store (at the time!). It was Lindsey (now a professional dog walker!) who insisted we get a dog. (For expert dog-walking in the LA area...contact me and I'll pass your name to Lindsey!)

As the (ever-creative) mom...I told Lindsey she had to get 500 "attitude" points in order to get a dog. (She could get up to five points a day....and I could not deduct points...but I could stop the clock! What could have taken 100 days....took a full year....and at 490...I knew I was going to become a dog "grandma"...since Lindsey is the mom!) I owe Lindsey a big thank you because Roxy has become a wonderful granddaughter and member of our household!

How were you and Roxy united?

We adopted Roxy from the Lange Center in West LA. Roxy was the first dog any of us had ever had. She was about one year old, and we were told that she would not shed and that she would stay about 25 pounds. Today....you will find Roxy hair all over our house and us....and she is 60 lbs!

Does Roxy make any contribution to your work?

She reminds me when it is time to stop and take her for a walk. She comes into my office every day at 4:30 and stares at me until I relent! She must wear a watch because she knows our schedule and precisely who to "lick” up to, to get what she wants.

What is Roxy's best quality?

Her eyes....all knowing....all seeing....right into our hearts. Knows when any of us are unhappy....does all she can to cheer us up. Very protective! (In fact, overly so. Neighbors hide behind trees when they see me walking her because she will lunge after every dog that walks nearby. We have never been able to change this habit.)

If Roxy could change one thing about you, what would it be?

She would not allow us to ever go on trips without her. She would eat my suitcases...and keep us from ever being out of sight!

If Roxy could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

I can't decide between: What makes you happiest? Which of the many meetings we have in our home is your favorite? Did Lindsey really walk you all those years when she lived at home?

Learn more about Beverly Kaye and her new book, Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment