Monday, September 9, 2013

Sara Dobie Bauer & Ripley and Raylan

Who is in the photo at right?

I’m Sara Dobie Bauer, a novelist, blogger, and copy writer. I just released my first novel, Life without Harry, in eBook format! I have two pups: Ripley (at right) is a sweet two-year-old girl, probably of the pit bull variety. Raylan is an eight-month-old bad boy, also probably a pit mix.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

The dog park is too limiting for my wild beasts. There’s a huge green field by our house in Phoenix, so my husband and I take them running there before the desert heat hits. We sip on iced coffee; the dogs roll in the grass and chase birds.

What's brewing?

Coffee AM’s decaf Orange Coconut over ice with cream and honey!

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

A Kind protein bar: almond dark chocolate chili. My favorite. When we get home, the puppies get doggy breath mints and breakfast: a big bowl of Earthborn Holistic.

How did your dogs get their names? Any nicknames?

Ripley is named after Sigourney Weaver’s character in Alien. I figure if the aliens do try and take over Earth, my dog will stop them. Her nickname: Ripplesnuffigus.

Raylan is named after the Elmore Leonard character and hero of the show Justified, Raylan Givens. We live in Phoenix, so we needed a butt-kicking cowboy in the house. His nickname: Monster.

How were you and your dogs united?

Ripley was found wandering the desert in my friend’s backyard outside Maricopa. She was only six weeks old, and despite living in a tiny apartment and planning a wedding, we took her in. She’s been a joy ever since. We realized she needed a brother when she started pouting, so we found Raylan at a Petsmart adoption day.

Where do your dogs most like to visit on an outing?

Chance’s house. Chance is Ripley’s boyfriend … but they let Raylan hang around, just to be nice.

Are your dogs more help or hindrance to your writing?

Mmm. Well, they stare at me a lot when I write, which is creepy (think the weird twins in The Shining). However, it’s soothing when they sleep at my feet. The sound of their breathing keeps my writing rhythmic.

[photo left: Raylan]

Do the dogs have any non-canine pet pals?

Oh, no. Noooooo.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Squirrel. And Ripley once ate a chicken. Like, a whole, live chicken. They love our post-lady; she brings them treats.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Squeaky toy. It’s creepy, but I think they like pretending they’re killing something.

What is each dog's best quality?

Ripley [photo right] is sweet. So sweet. She loves to cuddle.

Raylan is a terror, but he makes us laugh. They also both have faces that could make Freddie Krueger melt.

If your dogs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

The amount of time I spend in front of a computer not playing with them. Also, I sing when I cook. They usually go outside when that happens.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actors should do their voices?

Ripley: I know she’s a girl, but I imagine she would sound a lot like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

Raylan: Seth Rogan. After smoking weed.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

Ripley: What are you so concerned about all the time?

Raylan: Do you want to eat my brain? I feel like you want to eat my brain.

Visit Sara Dobie Bauer’s blog, Twitter perch, and Goodreads Author Page!

--Marshal Zeringue

3 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you lady. Congrats on your ebook. What adorable pups
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love your dogs, too!! So precious :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Sara. The kids are adorable and so are you! Susie

    ReplyDelete