Monday, November 18, 2013

Susan Gregg Gilmore & Otis

Who is in the photo at right?

That's me, Susan Gregg Gilmore, author of the novels Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen, The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove, and the recently released The Funeral Dress.

The handsome dog is Otis.

What's brewing?

I once worked as a barista so every morning I start my day with a latte of my own making. Non-fat milk, thick foam. And every morning, like this one, Otis is right by my side while I wake up with my cup of Joe. He falls back asleep while I check my emails.

How were you and your dogs united?

My youngest daughter, Alice, has rescued several dogs. She found Otis abandoned at a nearby park. He weighed nine pounds and was infested with fleas and ticks. Honestly, we didn't know if he would make it through the night.

Alice had found another pit mix about two months earlier. That little pup had been chained to a stop sign. Don't worry, he now has the most loving home and has grown into a very big, happy dog!

Anyway, my hubby and I were in bed when Alice walked into our room and said, "I can't believe this keeps happening to me."

I shot up in bed and said, "Alice, has your car been towed again?" (Another story!)

"No, mom, I found another puppy. And he's so cute."

Where do your dogs most like to visit on an outing?

The dog park for sure!

Do the dogs have any non-canine pet pals?

Oh yeah, Otis loves, loves, loves his stuffed animals, particularly his bear. I think it's his BFF.

What is Otis's best quality?

Gentleness.

If Otis could change one thing about Chattanoogans, what would it be?

Hmm. Otis would prefer that people not ride their bicycles on the sidewalk. It really scares him.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Otis could speak, which actor should do his voice?

Rico Rodriguez, the young actor who plays Manny Delgado on Modern Family. Or perhaps it's really Manny I want -- a young, tender-hearted, wise soul (although Otis has no fashion sense.)

If Otis could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

If we bought you another plush dog bed, would you consider sleeping on it, even for one night, instead of eating it??

Visit Susan Gregg Gilmore's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

Read more about The Funeral Dress.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments: