Monday, October 20, 2014

Dan Richards & Freddy

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi! My name is Dan Richards. I’m a children’s author. My debut picture book The Problem With Not Being Scared Of Monsters came out August 1st of this year. Next to me is my 7 year old Golden Doodle buddy Freddy.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

To be honest, neither of us drink coffee so we got together to prove it was possible to take a photo with us both looking into the camera.

Any treats for you or Freddy on this occasion?

Freddy got Natural Balance Potato and Duck treats. I got a headache trying to get him to pose.

How were you and Freddy united?

He’s been part of our family since he was 12 weeks old. Hard to remember life without him.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

My daughter wanted to name him Fred after Fred Weasley from the Harry Potter series (not quite sure why) and my son wanted to name him Darth Vader after, well, Darth Vader. We compromised and named him Fred Vader though he’s known now as simply Freddy.

Does Freddy do more to help or hinder your writing?

Freddy likes to lay on the floor and wrap his body around my chair while I write. This helps my concentration but hinders getting up to use the restroom.

Cat, postman, squirrel…?

Freddy loves to chase cats. He could care less about the postman. Unless the postman is a cat.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick…?

He loves stuffed animals. Unfortunately, he has razor sharp teeth. Nothing he plays with lasts more than a few minutes. He even sliced an ‘indestructible’ rubber toy in half.

What is Freddy's best quality?

He’s pretty much the gentlest dog ever. And the most creative in the use of pillows.

If Freddy could change one thing about Washingtonians, what would it be?

He would prefer every Washingtonian drop goldfish crackers wherever they go. Or drop cats.

If Freddy could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

How is it possible you can poop every time I take you for a walk even when it’s our fourth walk of the day?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Freddy could speak, who should voice him?

Ben Stiller. They have the same hair and eyes.

What advice would Freddy give if asked?

When asked to pose for a photo, avoid the camera until all treats have been exhausted, including the ones supposedly forgotten in the back of the cupboard. Then give them one look to remember.

Visit the official Dan Richards website and Facebook page.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Freddy, we would get along SO well! Especially if there are c.a.t.s. involved. I am so obsessed with them that my vet's office labeled me a Registered Cat Offender. Oh, and I can relate to wrapping yourself around your human's chair, too. Maybe you can visit me if you ever come to South Dakota. We would have SO much fun! I would also teach you how to catch birds and tease squirrels.

    Gage

    ReplyDelete