Monday, July 25, 2016

Katie Rodante & Hamphrey

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi there! I'm Katie Rodante, and I work full-time as a writer of both fiction and non-fiction. I write blog posts and web copy for my clients, and I write fiction and blog posts for myself. I'm working on my first novel, which I hope to have published this fall.

Hamphrey is a two-year-old morkie (maltese/yorkie mix). He's a super friendly little bundle of joy and endless energy.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Hamphrey and I spent the 4th of July weekend at a lake house in Texas, where we had our morning coffee with a pretty view. Since it was a holiday weekend, we had plenty of time to lounge around so this coffee date took place a little later in the morning than usual--we needed our rest after running around outside so much the previous day.

What's brewing?

I'm a simple coffee kind of girl and I like to try different blends. I love a strong brew, and I'll either drink it black or with a splash of milk. Usually, I brew the Dunkin Donuts dark blend.

Any treats for you or Hamphrey on this occasion?

Of course! I'm fine with just coffee, but Hamphrey is a bit of a spoiled boy and so he gets a treat too! He loves bacon flavor beggin' strips, so he enjoyed one of those.

How were you and Hamphrey united?

My husband and I found Hamphrey online and immediately headed out to adopt him after contacting the owner. He comes from a small litter (just him and his sister) and was considered the runt. He was only shy in our house for a few minutes before he was able to settle in just fine. He's been with us for two years now.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

Hamphrey is named after a hamster neighbor that shows up in the Nintendo 3DS game Animal Crossing: New Leaf. I ended up naming him after this character because it was my favorite in the game, and because it's such an unusual and fun name.

For short, we usually call him Hammy or Hammy Lammy.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Rabbit, which is close enough to squirrel. Our neighborhood actually has plenty of roaming rabbits, which always catch his interest. He doesn't try to catch them, just stares from a distance with curiosity.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Ball. Hamphrey is awesome at playing fetch, and he has plenty of smaller sized Nerf balls around the house that are perfect for him. They actually started out with squeakers in them, but Hamphrey has ripped out the majority of those. It's hard to tell if he likes squeakers or not since he's always tearing them out of his new toys.

Where is Hamphrey's favorite outdoor destination?

There's a large nature preserve just a town over from where we live, and that's a fun place for Hamphrey. It has both paved and natural nature trails, and Hamphrey seems to enjoy being a bit of an explorer. He likes to lead the way, and direct us wherever he wants to go.

Who is Hamphrey's best pet-pal?

Hamphrey has a buddy named Dante who is a miniature poodle. While Dante is a lot older and has much less energy than Hamphrey, they both love to spend time together.

What is Hamphrey's best quality?

His sense of humor. Hamphrey isn't a dog who takes anything too seriously, and his playful manner is infectious. Anybody who meets him is immediately in love, and he's so friendly and playful that he has absolutely no problem making new friends.

If Hamphrey could change one thing about Texans, what would it be?

Not about Texans in general, but if anybody passes Hamphrey when he's out on a walk or in a pet store without saying hello, he seems to actually get sad. Hamphrey loves to be the center of attention.

If Hamphrey could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

I'd ask Hamphrey to explain how us human folk can better communicate with him. If he can't learn our language, maybe we can learn his.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Hamphrey could speak, who should voice him?

This is untimely considering his age now, but Jonathan Taylor Thomas. His voice for Simba from The Lion King is how I always imagine Hamphrey would speak.

What advice would Hamphrey give if asked?

Don't bother getting bored, just make a game out of everything in life. You'll always be amused and entertained.

Visit Katie Rodante's website.

--Marshal Zeringue

No comments:

Post a Comment