Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Jen Calonita & Captain Jack Sparrow

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi. I'm Jen Calonita and I'm the author of the teen series, "Secrets of My Hollywood Life," and the recently released teen novel, "Sleepaway Girls." Captain Jack Sparrow (Jack for short) is my Chihuahua. He is a five years old male and I adore him, even if he is VERY needy.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Jack and I like to grab a cup of coffee whenever my son Tyler,4, is in preschool and Dylan, 9 months, is taking a nap. It's a rare treat to find some quiet time together.

What's brewing?

I'm a big fan of Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. I like it with LOTS of extra skim or lowfat milk and three Splenda with a shot of French Vanilla syrup.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Usually just the coffee, although Jack does adore a good dog biscuit.

How did Captain Jack Sparrow come to be united with you?

We like to say Jack is our first-born. We got him the day after Christmas the year before Tyler was born. We saw him at the pet shop on Christmas Eve, but didn't buy him. We couldn't stop thinking about him and when we went back the day after Christmas and he was still there, we snatched him up!

How did he get his name?

My husband and I loved "Pirates of the Caribbean" and felt Captain Jack Sparrow was a cool name for such a little dude. We like to joke that if we ever get Jack a female companion, we'd name her Liz, for Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley's character).

Has your dog influenced your writing in any way?

Jack hasn't really influenced my writing, but he's a great writing companion. He sits with me whenever I write.

What's an ordinary day like for your dog?

Jack is a big sleeper. If I'm not writing, he likes to lay on the couch in front of our bay window. It's the perfect spot to bark at the UPS truck should it pass by.

Who is Jack's best pet-pal?

Jack as into Disney as the rest of the family and loves his squeaky Mickey head.

What's your dog's best quality?

Jack is so loving. He always wants to cuddle and be held like a baby. It's so sweet that he always wants to be by our sides.

What's Jack's proudest moment so far?

Jack's proudest moment must be when he got to be Captain Jack Sparrow for Halloween [photo, right] alongside Tyler, who was also a pirate.

And his most embarrassing?

Probably when he darted out of the house right after Tyler was born and made me chase him down the street in my pajamas while all the neighbors stared at the crazy hysterical woman.

Read more about Jen Calonita's teen series "Secrets of My Hollywood Life" and her new stand-alone novel "Sleepaway Girls."

Visit Jen Calonita's website.

--Marshal Zeringue