Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Jenn McKinlay-Orf & Lucy

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi, I’m Jenn McKinlay-Orf. I’m a mystery writer, writing under two names Lucy Lawrence and Jenn McKinlay. The 10 year old, standard poodle with me is Lucy (yes, that’s where I came up with one of my pen names). She’s my baby girl and loves to walk to our local Dunkin Donuts with me.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

No occasion required. We like to take a nice long walk on the weekend and DD is far enough away that we figure we deserve our coffee and donuts.

What's brewing?

I’m having a caramel swirl.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

Donuts, naturally. I’m partial to the chocolate kreme, but Lu likes a plain bagel and water.

How did Lucy come to be united with you?

She chose us.

We went to look at a litter of 10 poodle puppies and she flopped onto my feet – she had me at hello -- and then, she proceeded to flirt outrageously with my husband until he was even more smitten than me.

How did she get her name?

She just is a Lucy. We tried on several names but that’s the one that took.

Who is your dog's best pet-pal?

Lucy and Rylie (my mother-in-law’s dog), best friends and aspiring Country Western singers!

Has Lucy influenced your writing in any way?

She’s been in one of my books and now I use her name for my pen name. I occasionally discuss plot with her, but if there isn’t a dog in the story line, she is completely uninterested.

What's an ordinary day like for Lucy?

Wake up to a morning treat and a walk, say adios to the family during school hours (I believe this is her nap time). Greet us all at the door as we return one by one. Remain in the middle of everything, cooking dinner, eating dinner, playing and story time, until bed.

What's Lucy's best quality?

She is the sweetest dog ever. She loves everyone unconditionally and with her whole heart.

Stuck on Murder by Lucy Lawrence is Jenn McKinlay-Orf's latest novel.

She is the author of three previous novels under the name Jennifer McKinlay.

And she has another series in the works, under the pen name Jenn McKinlay, set in a cupcake bakery. The first novel in the series, Sprinkle With Murder, is scheduled to be released in March 2010.

Learn more about the books and author at www.jennmckinlay.com.

--Marshal Zeringue