Friday, March 11, 2011

Bobbie Pyron & Teddy

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Bobbie Pyron and that's my 12-year-old Shetland sheepdog, Teddy. He was my inspiration and muse for my new book, A Dog's Way Home! He's one of three dogs I share my life with. I also have Boo, a coyote mix, and another adopted Shetland sheepdog named Sherlock. But in honor of my new book, I'm letting Teddy soak up the spotlight this time.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

It's a snowy day here at 7,000 feet in Park City and we're celebrating the release of A Dog's Way Home.

Last time you and Teddy and Boo were here on the blog you were drinking tea: is that still your preferred brew?

Oh yes, I'm a tea girl all the way. Right now, I'm drinking a bottled jasmine tea I've become quite addicted to.

Any treat for you or the dogs on this occasion?

Teddy is having his addiction: a Greenie.

Please tell us about your new book.

A Dog's Way Home (for grades 4 and up) is about the bond between 11-year-old Abby and her beloved Shetland sheepdog, Tam. After Abby and Tam compete in a junior agility championship in northern Virginia, they are separated in a terrible car crash on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Over the next 6 months, Tam risks his life as he makes his way south, over four hundred miles, through the winter mountains to get back home to “his girl.”

If your dog could change one thing about you, what would it be?

Teddy would be very happy if I never ever left his sight. As a matter of fact, if we were Siamese twins, he'd think that was perfectly fine!

What is Teddy's proudest moment?

Teddy's proudest moment was probably several years ago when he caught his first (and only) mouse. His sister, Boo, catches them all the time, but Teddy—not so much.

And his most embarrassing?

Most embarrassing was the other night when my husband caught him sneaking his hamburger off the coffee table. Normally, Teddy is quite the gentleman but even he has his weak moments!

Learn more about Bobbie Pyron & Boo, Teddy, and Sherlock.

Visit Bobbie Pyron's website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue