Monday, May 2, 2011

Kaira Rouda & Oreo and Tucker

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Kaira Rouda and I’m the author of Here, Home, Hope – my debut novel out today! I’m also the mom of four, I’ve been married for 21 years and I live in Southern California. Over the years, I’ve been an entrepreneur, a business writer and speaker (Real You Incorporated: 8 Essentials for Women Entrepreneurs was my first book.) But now, I’m finally doing what I’ve dreamed of since childhood – writing novels.

In the photo to the right I’m with Oreo, my loyal and trusty steed, as I call him. Oreo is 11 years old. He’s a mutt who has some Pomeranian and some Spaniel mixed in. He is the smartest dog I’ve ever met and he is a star in my novel. Truly, Kelly – the protagonist’s best animal friend is Oreo. In the story, Oreo carries around his favorite toy, a red fish. And in real life, you won’t find Oreo without the fish beside him. He’s the best dog.

Recently, we added Tucker – a shitzu/poodle mix. Oreo has taken the little guy under his wing, for the most part. And Tucker is lucky to have such a wonderful big brother.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Oreo, Tucker and I have coffee every morning. My daughter wanted a coffee machine for Christmas, and now we have this fancy one that makes individual cups. I am convinced it’s more time consuming than the regular old way, but my kids love it and it makes hot chocolate, too. I can’t tell you what my favorite is because my husband orders different types all the time. It’s a family toy, I think!

What's brewing?

No matter what the brand, my coffee is always black.

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

The dogs just discovered Newman’s Own Organic Peanut Butter Treats. They’re shaped like hearts.

How did the dogs get their names?

Oreo was named by the kids, 11 years ago. They were little – he is black and white. Enough said. Tucker was named by my daughter who promised to take care of him. Enough said.

Please tell us a bit about your dogs' role in your writing?

Both dogs sit at my feet, under my desk. I love it. The constant encouragement of their presence. It’s the best.

Do your dogs have a favorite place to go for walk?

Oreo loves the beach. He gets the biggest smile on his face when he’s out there, chasing birds, jumping waves.

Tucker doesn’t know how to walk on a leash yet. We’re working on it.

What's each dog's best quality?

Oreo is smart – he seems to understand everything I’m saying. I know, that’s weird, but he’s awesome.

Tucker is adorable – like a Teddy Bear following you around.

If your dogs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

They would ask that I never leave the house without taking them with me. And if I could, I would take them everywhere with me.

View the book trailer for Here, Home, Hope, and learn more about the book and author at Kaira Rouda's website.

My Book, The Movie: Here, Home, Hope.

--Marshal Zeringue