Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Michelle Day & Tom, Sadie and Buddy

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Michelle Day. I am a mother, dog lover and wife. For monetary reward, I work for a small business in my home town of Newburgh, Indiana. I pretty much do whatever is thrown my way. For rewards that you can't put a price tag on, I am a foster parent for our local greyhound adoption group, GPA Tri-State.

In this picture is myself, I am the 2-legged one. From left to right: Tom, Sadie and my foster dog Buddy.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I usually have a cup of coffee every morning. But if the weather is too warm, Diet Coke is on the agenda!

What's brewing?

Any flavored coffee. I love to add a couple spoonfuls of Peppermint Mocha liquid creamer and bunches of Splenda.

Any treat for you and your dogs on this occasion?

The hounds are usually so exhausted from trying to get me out of bed, they aren't too interested in treats. I might have a 100 calorie treat of some kind. I have been on Weight Watchers the past 18 months and lost 70 pounds, so I try to be good!

How were you and your dogs united?

I got interested in greyhounds almost 8 years ago. I had recently lost my Dobie and my daughter went to a local meet & greet. My first greyhound, Tom, [photo left] we picked him from a picture off of the internet. Which, looking back, could have totally back fired on us. But he has turned out to be such a sweet, goofy boy. We had Tom only a couple of weeks and we knew we wanted another one. So I turned to the president of our group and she found the perfect match for Tom. A happy go lucky girl, loved to give kisses and had a helicopter tail. Sadly,we lost our Dixie to Osteocarcoma last November.

My little black girl, Sadie, was a failed attempt at fostering. She had some health issues and had been in our home for 10 months and we said she was meant to be ours! I call her my million dollar baby, if anything weird is going to happen, it will happen to her!

How did your dogs get their names?

My dogs, came with their names. Their names were given to them by their breeders. Most of them stuck, but they all have silly nicknames. I think all dogs get little names that evolve as they become more acquainted with you.

Any aliases?

Lots of funny names. Tom is also know as TomTom, Tommy Boy, Tommy Two Toes (he has 2 white toes on his back foot), Thomasina (when he cries like a girl). Sadie is Little Bit, Sadie Bug and Million Dollar Baby.

Cat, rabbit, postman...?

Rabbits of course!

Tennis ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Anything soft and squeaky. My hounds don't like hard toys. I guess they want the similar feel of the bunnies!

Where is your dogs' favorite place for an outing?

My dog Sadie [photo right] loves to go anywhere! Tom is my bashful boy. While he loves to go in the car, he is a nervous nellie the entire time.

If your dogs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

I'm not sure about that one, I think they might think I am pretty close to perfect!

What is each dog's proudest moment?

Tom's proudest moment was when he was crowned King of the Greytfest. Since he was our group's first adoptee, he was the first to be crowned King of the Greytfest (Greytfest if our annual picnic and our biggest fundraiser for our group).

Most embarrassing?

Sadie's would probably when I dressed her up as a bat for Halloween.

Visit the Grey Hares...On My Sofa blog.

--Marshal Zeringue