Friday, September 9, 2011

Elizabeth Park & Butters

Who is in the photo at right?

That's me, Elizabeth Park, with Butters who is an 8-month-old, 4-pound male yorkie poo. As for me, I'm a Manhattan transplant now living in Boston. I moved here 2 years ago after working for 6 years in NYC as a stock analyst at a major investment bank. Now I'm a stay at home wife and mom (just Butters, for now).

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Butters and I catch up on emails and blogs together every morning at the dining room table.

What's brewing?

I actually don't really drink coffee anymore, though I'll have it once in a while. My favorite is the low-cal, soy mochaccino from Starbucks but that only happens about twice a year. I gave up coffee after I stopped working and replaced caffeine consumption with sleep!

Any treats for you or Butters on this occasion?

Butters is chewing on a dehydrated yam, which we picked up from our favorite dog bakery called Polka Dog. He loves all things sweet!

How were you and Butters united?

I picked up Butters at the airport, when he weighed 1.3 pounds. He came to us from a breeder in Tennessee.

How did he get his name? Any nicknames?

My husband and I watched a lot of South Park when we were dating, and we both loved the character Butters. Our Butters has a lot of nicknames: Mr. Bumpkins, Butt Butt, Bum Bum, Gooby, Beurre.

Does Butters have a favorite place to go for a walk?

We usually walk around our neighborhood, Beacon Hill. But Butters will walk anywhere with me. He can walk for miles and miles and refuses to be carried.

Squirrel, postman, cat...?

Birds! He loves chasing birds.

Squeaky-toy, tennis ball, stick?

Butters is obsessed with tennis balls, and if we play fetch in the park, he will insist on carrying it in his mouth all the way home.

What is Butters's best quality?

Butters is an easygoing and friendly dog, and I'm so thankful for that as it makes bringing him around the city so much easier. Some days it feels like everyone knows Butters. People I don't know will come up to us on the street and say to him, 'Hi Butters! How's it going?'

If Butters could change one thing about New Englanders, what would it be?

Their seemingly unanimous love for big dogs. When we walk around Boston, people point and make comments about how Butters is the tiniest dog they've ever seen.

When I lived in New York, it felt like everyone had tiny dogs, which I thought was appropriate and fitting for apartment living. A couple months ago I was visiting friends in NYC, and I went to a pet boutique looking for a carrier for Butters. I told the man working there that my dog was 2.5 pounds (at the time), and he didn't even flinch. Here in Boston, he's treated like a circus freak. A cute circus freak.

If Hollywood made a movie in which Butters could talk, who should do his voice?

Conan O'Brien. He's charismatic, funny, smart, and sometimes spastic, just like Butters.

Visit the official Butters the Lil' Yorkie Poo blog.

--Marshal Zeringue