Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wendy Zollner & Savanna

Who is in the photo at right?

That's me, Wendy Zollner, Purchasing Manager at Sounds True, and Savanna, a 12-year-old female German Shepherd/ Lab mix.

Does Savanna come to work with you every day at Sounds True?

Yes, every day since she was about 9 months old.

What's brewing?

Celestial Seasonings Green Tea….

Any treats for you or Savanna on this interview break?

No treats for this old girl.

How were you and Savanna united?

It was fate: while “shopping” for dogs with my friend for my friend at the LifeLine Puppy Rescue, I fell in love with the puppy who was just watching me the whole time. My friend actually ended up getting me the dog and she didn’t get one at all that day. Later that year Savanna developed painful issues with her knees and hips. As luck would have it my cousin just happened to be a vet surgeon specializing in these exact issues. He performed the surgery for free and as a thank you gift I got him a top of the line GPS unit from REI (back in 2002 that was high tech). That winter he later thanked me for saving his life: he had gone to Alaska and they got lost in the mountains and were way off course ... even the rescue helicopters couldn’t find them. He said without that GPS unit they would not have found their way out! I got goose bumps when I read his story; he saved Savanna’s life and Savanna saved his. I think that day I thought I picked out a puppy, she actually picked me out.

How did Savanna get her name?

The first week I had her I went on a camping trip and lots of names were offered up while sitting around the campfire; her name was influenced by a guy from Georgia and Savanna is the name that stuck (Savanna without the “h” at the end).

Any aliases?

Lots of aliases: Vanna, Savanna Bananna, Savanna Montana, Sav.

Does Savanna have a favorite toy, ball, or stick?

No, she is just not like a normal dog. She doesn’t play fetch, or chase things; she just likes to go outside and eat grass. Oh, the one thing she will carry around with her constantly is her food bowl. And she will get in any body of water that she can find.

Who is Savanna's best pet-pal at Sounds True?

Probably Fife, who is the only one older than her at the age of 14. Fife is a little black Schipperke with a ton of personality.

Does Savanna have a favorite place to go for outings?

Anywhere I go, she goes. Daily walks in the park...

What is Savanna's best quality?

She is so smart. I taught her to deliver paper (like the mail or pick up the newspaper from the driveway), and she figured out she got treats for paper. Now she takes paper out of the recycle bin and expects treats in exchange.

If Savanna could change one thing about you, what would it be?

More walks.

If Savanna could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

What are you thinking about?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Savanna could speak, who should voice her?

Whoopi Goldberg.

Learn about other dogs at Sounds True: Andrew Pike & Miles and Kasmah McDermott & Scruffy.

--Marshal Zeringue

4 comments:

  1. Great story of how your two "met"~ brought tears to my eyes! Savanna is a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SAVANNA is my 'other' granddaughter. And a special one at that. She recognizes many words and you better be prepared to spell them or else she delivers her dish, leash, etc.and you are committed!
    Dad, Grandpa Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story and great pictures.....!
    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so cute! Sounds like an awesome dog:)

    ReplyDelete