Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Angelia Sims & Salem, Anna, Brownie, and Fred

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi, I am Angelia Sims, pictured here with my trusty fur friends or least a few of them. I am a work from home travel agent. I have four dogs--Salem, Anna, Brownie, and Fred. Two big. Two small. They range in age from three years old to eleven years old.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Today, we are celebrating my oldest pup's birthday. Her name is Salem, she is a big black lab and she is 11 years old. We have a party every year. And every day I am so happy she is still with us. She can be a little wobbly on the ups and down, along with some mighty groans, but all in all, she is happy girl.

What's brewing?

Today, we will be having coffee, cake, and fancy iced dog biscuits. Please put on your party hats.

Any treats for you or your dogs on this occasion?

All the dogs attending will receive a goody bag. There are squeaky toys and milk bones inside.

How did your dogs get their names? Any nicknames?

Salem is from being black. She reminds me of Halloween and witches, but she is a really nice dog. A good black witch. My second dog is Anna. She is black-lab/greyhound mix. I named her Anna because I wanted another A name in the family (at the time it was all S names). Our third dog is Brownie. We named her before we got her. We wanted a brown dog that reminded us of ice cream (okay, maybe that was me). I, also, wanted a Shih-tzu breed. My mom rescued one that we all fell in love with. I had no idea they even had Brown Shih-tzus until we found Brownie. She was the last of her liter and the only puppy left. She was definitely meant to be ours. Her nickname is Cat. She doesn't bark and plays like a cat. Our fourth dog happens to be the one we all fell in love with at my mom's house. He is a Shih-tzu rescue named Fred. My mom had to move to assisted living last year and couldn't take him with her. Well, I couldn't let him go and that is how he came to live with us.

How were you and your dogs united?

I like to call them planned and unplanned.

Salem was planned. I got her at eight weeks old from a breeder. I wanted a yellow boy lab, but somehow ended up with her. So you could say, Salem won me with her cute face since she was the wrong color and gender.

Anna is unplanned. She is another rescue from my mom. She found her dumped next to a flea market in the country. I met her in my Mom's front yard. She was sooo cute. She looked just like my Salem and was about the size of my hand.

Brownie was planned. Sort of. I convinced my husband we needed a cat. But I didn't want to clean the liter box. So, I told him a little lap dog would be about the same thing and we got Brownie and she doesn't bark and plays like a cat. Hmmm.

Fred was definitely unplanned, but ohhhhh what a wonderful bit of chaos he is. I didn't know I needed a Fred in my life until he came to live with us. He is my constant lap friend (since Brownie the cat is not a lap dog/cat). He loves walks. He loves car rides. He loves just looking at me and following me around. He is the cutest thing ever. My most adoring fan of all time.

Where do your dogs most like to visit on an outing?

Fred loves Petsmart.

Do the dogs have any non-canine pet pals?

There are squirrels in the backyard. A few bunnies out the front window and a gecko that likes to tease Anna on the front door.

Squirrel, cat, postman...?

Definitely squirrels, but only if you are Anna.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Squeaky toy. So! Many! Squeaky toys!

What is each dog's best quality?

Salem - her snore - I can't sleep if she is not snoring. Anna - her personality - the greyhound antics and humor are a delight. Brownie - her cat-like playfulness - she loves tug and the moving hand. Fred - his crooked grin and doggie cuddles - he is so fuzzy and so cute.

If your dogs could change one thing about you, what would it be?

That I didn't work and could play with them all day.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which your dogs could speak, which actors should do their voices?

Salem - Whoopi Goldberg. Anna - Kristin Wiig. Brownie - Jennifer Lawrence. Fred - Owen Wilson.

If your dogs could answer only one question in English, what would you ask them?

Do you know how much I love you?

Visit Angelia Sims's blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Goodness! With four dogs every day is party! :-D Thank-you so much for having us on your blog and letting us share our big girl's 11th Birthday. Looking forward to #12!

    ReplyDelete