Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Lynne Maillet & Marcus

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Lynne Maillet and I am with my 9-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Marcus. We live in Connecticut with my husband, Ron, two teenage daughters, a half Siamese cat, and two bunnies. I am a fiber artist who hand spins wool and knits. I write about my fiber adventures at White Birch Fiber Studio. I also play the celtic harp, practice yoga, and am a Reiki Master.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I work from home and Marcus follows me all day. He has to always be in the same room as me. So whenever I take a break for hot cocoa, he is with me!

What's brewing?

Homemade hot cocoa.

Any treats for you or Marcus on this occasion?

Pumpkin muffin for me. Marcus likes American cheese or dry cat food which he likes better than his own food!

How were you and Marcus united?

Nine years ago I sewed dog treat bags for a dog training center. My daughters were nine and five at the time, and we knew we were ready to add a dog to our family. After asking all of the trainers what breed they would recommend for us, every single one of them recommended Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. A breeder from Vermont who brought her Cavaliers to this training center in Connecticut was highly recommended. We spoke on the phone for two hours before we were allowed to come to Vermont for an interview. After meeting us, she told us which puppy would be best for us and that we would be able to come back in a month to pick him up.

How did Marcus get his name? Any aliases?

The year was 2004 and the Boston Red Sox were in the World Series. Our breeder had named our puppy, Curt, after the pitcher Curt Schilling. Although we are Red Sox fans, we didn’t think the name Curt fit. We made a list of names and Marcus seemed like the most manly. We also call him Mister Marcus.

Is Marcus more likely to help or hinder your work in your studio?

Help... since he sleeps at my feet while I’m blogging, spinning on my spinning wheel, or playing my harp.

Who is Marcus's best pet-pal?

Kobe Kitty. He waits patiently until Kobe is finished eating and then he is rewarded with a kitty kibble.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick…?

Squeaky toy, especially a duck or squirrel!

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Squirrel or chipmunk! He looks every day for the chipmunk who lives in our drain spout.

Does Marcus have a favorite place to go for outings?

Anywhere in the car! Some of his favorite trips were Shelburne Falls, Newburyport, Cape Cod, Deerfield, Ogunquit, and Boothbay Harbor.

What is Marcus's best quality?

His sweet, gentle nature.

If Marcus could change one thing about New Englanders, what would it be?

He would want every one to be as friendly as he is!

If Marcus could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

After being sprayed three times, why do you keep chasing Mister skunk? Here he is [photo left] after yet another skunk bath!

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Marcus could speak, who should voice him?

Leonardo DiCaprio.

Visit the White Birch Fiber Studio website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pup, looks like such a wise and kind little soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that we both have Cavaliers from Vermont! (My interview comes right after yours.) The first Cavalier I ever met was a Blenheim, and I fell in love.
    I'm actually having trouble typing this on my laptop because Bisou (my assertively affectionate ruby Cav) is snuggled under my elbow.

    ReplyDelete