Thursday, August 14, 2014

Brooke Gaynes & Oliver

Who is in the photo at right?

Hello! My name is Brooke Gaynes, and when I'm not working in human genetic research, I write for different outdoor women's blogs.

Oliver is my 5 year old border collie, and helps me research the different topics I write about. He comes mountain biking, climbing, hiking, and trail running (and sometimes even skiing) with me on a daily basis.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Today is a holiday in Utah, where we celebrate the Mormon pioneers that settled in the Salt Lake Valley.

Ollie and I talked my husband into a fun afternoon of hiking, climbing, and swimming in alpine lakes.

What's brewing?

Today we have fruit punch flavored Gatorade on our hike!

Any treats for you or Oliver on this occasion?

I'm enjoying some pistachio chewy bites, and Ollie is helping himself to some peanut butter and ritz (a special treat for hikes only).

How did your dog get his name? Any nicknames?

Since I love Charles Dickens, I named Ollie after Oliver Twist when we adopted him. He was a skinny, scraggly orphan when we adopted him, but had lots of energy and big smiles from day one!

How were you and Oliver united?

I was looking to adopt a dog, and had visited several shelters in my area. Although I had seen many adorable dogs, the moment I met Oliver it was love at first sight. The connection was strong and immediate. I adopted him on the spot, and called my husband to tell him the news on the drive home.

Who is Oliver's best pet-pal?

Ollie loves mountain biking dates with my friend Hannah, and her German shortair, Milo.

Where is Oliver's favorite outdoor destination?

Although Oliver loves any outdoor destination, his favorite ones involve open trails and large bodies of water! Notch lake, in the Uintas is our favorite!

Do you and Oliver ever run into interesting critters on your runs and hikes?

All the time! Oliver curiously studies tarantulas, and has made friends with a few coyotes on the trail.

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Anything that gets thrown! He has a favorite stuffed fox that he carries around the house and uses as a pillow.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Anything that runs! Ollie will chase it!

What is Oliver's best quality?

Oliver's best quality is his love for his family.

On our bike rides, Oliver occupies himself between constantly running between his mama and his pop to make sure we are both okay (I am usually several hundred feet behind John).

Ollie likes to follow his mom everywhere, and is very sensitive to her feelings.

If Oliver could change one thing about Salt Lakers, what would it be?

Oliver loves living in a dog friendly city like Salt Lake City!

He would like to see more watering spots at the dry trail heads though!

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Oliver could speak, which actor should do his voice?

Ron Weasley from Harry Potter.

If Oliver could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

I'd ask Oliver what the secret is to always being so happy, so forgiving, and so patient.

Follow Brooke Gaynes on Instagram, Twitter, and the Outdoor Women's Alliance.

--Marshal Zeringue

2 comments:

  1. Oh Brooke, what a great question! I'd love to hear Oliver's answer. Looks like Oliver won the doggie lotto, love those rags to riches stories.









    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful spots and dog! We love hiking and swimming too:D

    ReplyDelete