Thursday, December 18, 2014

Kathryn Powers & Penny

Who is in the photo at right?

I'm Kathryn Powers and this is my five-year-old cavapoo, Penny. I'm an aspiring children's author-illustrator and work at a special collection library. I'm also very active in my local chapter of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators and have a blog where I post summaries of our meetings and events, as well as book reviews, writing and illustration tips, and my own art.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Penny and I are gearing up for a day of writing and illustrating.

What's brewing?

I love unique flavors of coffee, like Strawberry Shortcake and Chocolate Chip Cookie, and have a big collection of Disney mugs. Today I'm drinking my seasonal favorite, Apple Pie, out of Penny's favorite 101 Dalmatians mug.

Any treats for you or Penny on this occasion?

Penny really wanted a bite of my pumpkin bagel, but I told her it wasn't for doggies.

How were you and Penny united? How did Penny get her name?

We got Penny from a family friend who didn't have the time or energy for a puppy. Her original name, Zoe, was too close to my family dog who had just passed away, Chloe, so we renamed her. Penny seemed to fit her perfectly. She frequently goes by nicknames like "Penny Penkins," "Penny Puppy" and "Burp-a-tron." (She burps more than any other dog on the planet.)

Are there any Penny-inspired dogs in your fiction?

I love writing my pets into my stories. Penny's sweet (and cowardly) nature inspired one of the spaniel characters in my work-in-process novel, Pirate Ferret.

Does Penny do more to help or hinder your writing and illustrating?

Penny is my shadow puppy and keeps me company whenever I write and illustrate. I can lose track of time, though, so I know it's time for a break (and belly rubs) when she starts neurotically licking the carpet at my feet.

Who is Penny 's best pet-pal?

Penny's best canine buddy is my mom's bichon frise, Bailey. They've been pals since they were puppies.

Where is Penny 's favorite outdoor destination?

Penny loves visiting Bailey, of course!

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Squeaky toys are Penny's favorite. She has one toy with eight squeakers in it, and she could squeak that thing all day long.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

Penny loves cats, postmen, squirrels, ferrets, bunnies, bugs, and everything she meets. She's even tried to give spiders kisses when she finds them on our walls.

What is Penny 's best quality?

Penny is a big sweetheart and the world's best snuggle puppy. She is a wonderful companion.

If Penny could change one thing about Ohioans, what would it be?

I think Penny wishes we lived someplace warmer. She doesn't like when the snow is taller than her.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Penny could speak, which actor should do her voice?

Penny would be right at home in an animated movie. With their cute, peppy voices, Mandy Moore, Kristen Bell, or Anne Hathaway would all be perfect matches for her.

If Penny could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

We would ask Penny what we ask her everyday: "Why, oh why, do you burp so much?"

Visit the official K.S. Powers blog.

--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Is that Kermit on your head, you little cutie-pie? Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete