Monday, May 23, 2016

Lori Pelikan Strobel & Louie

Who is in the photo at right?

Hi, I’m Lori Pelikan Strobel. My work experience has ranged from writer, sales representative, Pilates instructor, community college teacher, and real estate agent. My favorite job has been, and will always be, mom. Currently I’m writing waggleviews™ and some personal essays on womanhood, motherhood, and being an empty nester over on my blog. You can usually find me at my favorite coffee shop with my sweet and handsome four-year old dog, Louie. Louie is an apricot colored standard poodle with deep caramel eyes.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

We are usually at Cheshire Coffee three times a week…if not more. We love to visit with the great staff and customers that come by. Louie loves to greet everyone as they enter and he especially loves all the attention. When Louie is not greeting everyone, he either sits by me or in the chair next to me as I try to write.

What's brewing?

I’m a tea person; so today it’s an iced green tea with honey. Sometimes, I will venture into coffee land and get an iced latte with almond milk.

Any treats for you or Louie on this occasion?

I will occasionally treat myself to the homemade granola bars at Cheshire Coffee. There is a secret stash of dog treats for Louie behind the counter. He waits patiently until he is given one.

How were you and Louie united?

My two grown up daughters surprised me with him for my 50th birthday! They always wanted a dog growing up but I just couldn’t get one with our busy schedules. My oldest daughter had just graduated from college and my youngest had just finished her first year of college. I guess I was feeling the empty nest of loneliness and wanted a baby again…so I mentioned that I wanted a dog.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

Both my husband and I attended Providence College and we use to go to a bar named Louie’s. We had many fun times there with friends, so when we had to name our dog we thought Louie would be a good fit. He’s fun!

We also call him Lou, Booboo, Pumpkin Poodle, and Louie Stroobie.

Louie & Rosie
What role does Louie play in your writing?

Louie is my muse. Getting a dog was so out of character for me; however, when I got him I realized how he changed my way of thinking. He was a catalyst for me to do things that I always wanted to do- write! Now, however, he distracts me all the time when I’m trying to write because he is so cute. I just want to stop what I’m doing and pet him or walk him or get coffee with him.

Who is Louie's best pet-pal?

His best gal pet-pal is Rosie, a beautiful Labrodoodle down the street. He goes absolutely bonkers when she walks by the house. Rosie and Louie actually have play dates together. After 15 minutes of him trying to chase her, he is so tired he will sleep for hours.

He also has a coffee pet-pal by the name of Charlie. They love just standing next to each other at the coffee shop. His other buddy is Murphy. Murphy is older and very distinguished. He taught Louie how to be a dog.

Cat, postman, squirrel...?

He is determined to catch a squirrel someday!

[photo left: Louie & Charlie]

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick...?

He loves to pick up sticks in our yard and run around. He likes squeaky-toys in the house and wants to play fetch. He has no idea what to do with a ball. I’ve never seen a dog that fails so miserably at fetch with a ball. The wind or a butterfly distracts him.

What is Louie's best quality?

Louie is very charismatic and friendly. He has a wonderful disposition. He is gentle, funny, happy and very human like at times.

Where is Louie's favorite outdoor destination?

Louie loves to walk the beach in the off-season. He finds new smells, dogs and people at the beach. His other favorite outdoor place is in Otis Massachusetts. He likes to ride in the boat because he likes the wind in his face!

If Louie could change one thing about you, what would it be?

Louie would like me to stop everything in my life and devote every moment to him! I think he realizes that I need to stop, breath and be in the moment. So, he would want to change my need from always doing to become a need to just being. He’s doing a good job in helping me change and realize the importance of being mindful of the moment.

If Louie could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

I would ask Louie what do you want me to know about you that makes you happy and that makes you upset. I think we would have a great discussion on this topic.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Louie could speak, who should voice him?

I have thought long and hard about the answer to this question. My first response would be Tom Hanks because of how he played his character in the movie Big. Louie is distinguished and dignified, however, there is a childlike quality to him that makes him endearing. I could also see Will Ferrell as his voice too because of his character in Elf.

What advice would Louie give if asked?

Enjoy now, stop worrying, be the moment, and take time to look at the squirrels and birds. However, most importantly, always ask for treats and don’t be afraid to give yourself a treat now and then!

Visit Lori Pelikan Strobel’s website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Marshall for the coffee! Louie and I had so much fun answering your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! And I can hear Tom Hanks voice as I read this! Louie is certainly someone special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise-Anne PorcelloMay 31, 2016 at 7:53 PM

    What an enjoyable read! Love this interview and I loved even getting to know you and Louie a little bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a handsome fella Louis is. Very lovely interview. We are kind of partial to Standards. 🐾

    ReplyDelete