Monday, March 23, 2015

Elisabeth Crisp & Jazzy

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Elisabeth Crisp. I blog everyday at crisplyspoken.com. I’m also writing a novel.

My dog is Jazzy, a four-year-old female miniature schnauzer.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

Jazzy and I have coffee almost every day at our favorite park. We eat. We walk. We sit in the car or at a picnic table while I write.

What's brewing?

Dark French roast, topped with Nestle’s Quik and soy milk. The Quik addiction started when I wasn’t able to get to the supermarket. It’s good. You should try it.

Any treats for you or Jazzy on this occasion?

Breakfast tacos for me. Milkbone Mini’s for Jazzy.

How were you and Jazzy united?

Jazzy was a two and half pound puppy when I scooped her out of a litter, living in a Rubbermaid container in a residential backyard. She fit in the palm of my hand.

How did your dog get her name? Any aliases?

Her official name is Jasmine Tea, named after my favorite green tea blend. It’s the beverage I drank while grieving over the loss of her predecessor, also a schnauzer.

When she was a puppy, I called her Hoover. She hoovered up things she shouldn’t, just like a vacuum cleaner.

Does Jazzy do more to help or hinder your writing?

Jazzy is a typical schnauzer. Her day job is barking. She talks to the mailman, the neighbor’s cat, our abundance of squirrels, the blades of grass blowing in the wind. It drives me nuts until she’s gone to the groomers. Then, the house is too quiet. So, Jazzy helps me write, but her help is annoying.

Have any actual dogs inspired fictional dogs in your writing?

There’s a little dog, who climbs mountains, in my current work in progress. Taco was inspired by Jasmine.

Cat, postman, squirrel…?

She trees the squirrels in my backyard. She caught one once, so they give her room. She’s very quick.

Ball, squeaky-toy, stick…?

She loves toys. When I come home, she meets me at the door with a her plush monkey or pink pig. She follows me around until I toss it for her to fetch.

Who is Jazzy's best pet-pal?

She loves other dogs. She's friends with a Great Dane, Thalia. They meet at the park, and Jazzy isn’t intimidated by their size difference.

What is Jazzy's best quality?

She loves me with persistence.

If Jazzy could change one thing about Texans, what would it be?

Their politics. Jazzy is a liberal.

If Jazzy could answer only one question in English, what would you ask her?

Where is my missing black loafer?

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Jazzy could speak, who should voice her?

Emma Watson. Jazzy sounds like Hermione Granger when she barks. She’s also very smart.

What advice would Jazzy give if asked?

Quit sitting there pretending to write and take me for a walk. It always helps.

Will that advice work for you?

I should listen to her more often.

Visit Elisabeth Crisp's website and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue

4 comments:

  1. Kobe's best friend is a miniature schnauzer named Fuji! We're huge fans :-)

    Good luck on the novel!

    -Kobe & Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Our bossy schnauzer keeps my family in line!

      Delete
  2. Marshal, thank you for having Jazzy and I over today. I love Coffee With a Canine. It's great to see a group of humans as crazy about their dogs as I am!

    ReplyDelete