Thursday, March 5, 2015

Meg Donohue & Cole

(photo credit: Alex Wang)
Who is in the photo at right?

This is a photograph of me with our dog, Cole.

My name is Meg Donohue. I’m the author of All the Summer Girls and How to Eat a Cupcake. HarperCollins will release my latest novel, Dog Crazy, on March 10th, 2015.

How were you and Cole united?

Cole is our seven-year-old rescue dog. We adopted him through an organization that brings homeless dogs from Taiwan to San Francisco. He was billed as a Taiwanese mountain dog, but he looks to us like a German shepherd mix.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine? What's brewing?

This is just a typical workday. Cole is my constant writing companion.

My other constant writing companion is coffee. Lately, I’ve been drinking Nespresso luongo with a splash of vanilla almond milk.

How did your dog get his name? Any aliases?

We named Cole after Cole Valley, which is our neighborhood in San Francisco. We thought it might help him feel welcome after his long travels from Taiwan. He has countless nicknames though—Coley, Coley Molely, Cole Bear, Colbert Report, to name just a few.

How much have actual dogs inspired fictional dogs in your published work?

The dogs I’ve loved and lost have served as tremendous inspiration in my writing, particularly in my latest novel, Dog Crazy. The experience of adopting a rescue dog resonates through the novel, which is about a pet bereavement counselor who comes undone following the loss of her own beloved dog. Dogs have meant so much to me in my life, and I was excited to write with honestly, respect, and humor about the human-canine bond. I hope dog lovers will enjoy the book and feel they are reading about the experiences of a kindred spirit.

Visit Meg Donohue's website and blog.

The Page 69 Test: How to Eat a Cupcake.

My Book, The Movie: How to Eat a Cupcake.

The Page 69 Test: All the Summer Girls.

My Book, The Movie: All the Summer Girls.


--Marshal Zeringue

1 comment:

  1. Happy I saw this! I'll have to look for the book. I think I would like it.

    ReplyDelete