Thursday, March 12, 2015

Elizabeth Halt & Atlas

Who is in the photo at right?

That's me, Elizabeth Halt, and my best friend Atlas on our 11 year anniversary hike in the Porcupine Mountains.

I'm a former engineer turned artist, storyteller, reiki person & part-time barista. Atlas helps me with everything.

Atlas is a weimaraner who will turn 12 this month. He is much larger than the typical weim. He started out as a show dog but then he grew too tall and neither of us minded.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I had a morning shift at the cafe, so I brought a drink home with me.

What's brewing?

Big Water Coffee Roasters espresso, in the form of a caramel latte.

Any treats for you or Atlas on this occasion?

The latte was my treat. Atlas had some peanut butter dog cookies.

How did Atlas get his name? Any aliases?

Atlas was named after one of my favorite books, Atlas Shrugged, and the Greek myth. I thought that Atlas held the world on his shoulders and, even before I got my weim - I had the name before the dog - I knew I would adore him to pieces, so the name felt appropriate.

How were you and Atlas united?

This is really two stories. Story the first: how I went from not-a-dog-person to uber-dog-person. Story the second: how I found my very own weimaraner. But the short version is - it was fate.

Squirrel, postman, cat....?

The great loves of Atlas's life, in order of importance: cats, food, and me. (He is somewhat famous for his obsessive love of cats.)

Squeaky toy, ball, stick...?

Atlas does not care about toys. He likes sticks; they are good for eating. (As are toilet paper tubes. He can sniff them out no matter where they're hidden.)

Where is Atlas's favorite outdoor destination?

Atlas just likes to be outside, regardless of the destination.

What is Atlas's best quality?

If I had to narrow it down, it would probably be his incredibly sweet + loving nature and his ability to be fully present.

If Atlas could change one thing about Yoopers, what would it be?

Humorously, he would probably have them move somewhere where there is less snow in the winter.

This is his second winter in the Arctic (his words) and he is not entirely a fan.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life in which Atlas could speak, which actor should do his voice?

I know who has the perfect voice for Atlas! It's not an actor but a singer -- Leonard Cohen.

If Atlas could answer only one question in English, what would you ask him?

What can I do to make your life better?

What advice would Atlas give if asked?

You can never take too many naps.

Will that advice work for you?

Unfortunately not. I do love naps, but more than one (and sometimes even one) can disrupt my night-time sleep.

Visit Elizabeth Halt's website and Twitter perch, and follow Atlas on Facebook.

--Marshal Zeringue

3 comments:

  1. Atlas is the BEST. Of course I am partial. Thanks for inviting us to be part of "coffee with a canine"! It was so fun to think about these questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've known atlas and elizabeth for quite a few years now.
    everything here is true. but i'm thinking he likes elizabeth more than kitties. SURELY he does!
    the rest is true! except she doesn't mention she is one of the most talented photographers and story tellers you'll ever find.
    her world is MAGICAL!!! and her silver puppy is no doubt a big part of her inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome fellow, Atlas! Sounds like you are having a lot of fun in your life, too. But c-a-t-s, Atlas?!? You are a traitor to the dog race! Then again, when I think better, you are one of them Jerries, so it is understandable. Woofs from Gage, the proper English gentleman.

    ReplyDelete