Monday, October 18, 2010

Cyn Thomas & Scout

Who is in the photo at right?

That's me, Cyn Thomas, owner and designer at RiverDog Prints, a custom paper goods company. I'm with Scout, who is 9-years-old. She is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and the dog love of my life. We are both involved with RiverDog Prints. Scout writes a Dog Blog from her point of view and I have my own blog that covers business, family and Scout.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I usually need a dose of caffeine in the afternoon (I have two boys, 8 and 5 that tucker me out) and it gives Scout and I the opportunity to get outside in our yard and take a little break from our business.

What's brewing?

Flavored coffee straight out of the home brew machine.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

I will usually have a couple Fig Newmans. Big fans of Newmans Own products - they make dog treats too.

Any treat for Scout on this occasion?

I save her treats for when she needs to come inside and needs a little coaxing. Although, she would consider it a treat to chase the ball and roll in the grass, snorting.

How were you and Scout united?

A friend from work has a Chessie and his agreement with his breeder included a couple dogs from one litter of pups. Scout's mom, BB, had a large litter and my husband and I picked her out from the crowd. We observed that she was gentle, but stood up for herself when necessary. She's still the same today.

How did Scout get her name? Does she have any aliases?

She is named for the character in the book, To Kill a Mockingbird. I've said if she were a human, Scout would totally wear rolled up overalls and have a pixie haircut like the character in the movie. She does have nicknames: Scooter-Pants, Super Dog, Princess Click-Click, Sis-tah, Dee-Oh-Gee (say it fast.)

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

Scout's become a half-hearted squirrel and chipmunk chaser. She used to tear after them with great enthusiasm, but age and familiarity has dampened the chase. But, the poor UPS/FedEx people are another case. She truly sounds like she would bite off their limbs, if she could. I feel for them.

Frisbee, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Water Kong with long rope attached is her outside toy. Inside, she has a basket of toys that she will place in her mouth to greet us after an absense. She'll make the distinctive roo-roo-rooo sound of a Chessie and then a happy growl, keeping the toy in her mouth at all times.

Where is Scouts favorite place for an outing?

Anywhere she can swim.

Who are Scout's best pet-pals?

Chessie's usually like their humans better than other dogs, but Scout will tolerate our neighbor's golden, Molly.

If Scout could change one thing about you, what would it be?

That I would work less during the day.

What is Scout's best quality?

She has a sweet loyalty that goes straight to your heart.

What is Scout's proudest moment? Her most embarrassing?

Learning to swim was her proudest. She was very tentative around water for the first six months of her life. But she conquered her fear and seeing her swim is an amazing site.

Visit Scout's Dog Blog, and learn more about RiverDog Prints.

--Marshal Zeringue