Monday, October 4, 2010

Rebecca Katz & Bella

Who is in the photo at right?

My name is Rebecca Katz. I’m a cookbook author, chef and culinary translator. My dog name is Bella. She’s a 6-1/2-year-old Portuguese Water Dog.

My books include The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery and One Bite at Time.

What's the occasion for Coffee with a Canine?

I have my coffee with Bella while she eats her breakfast.

What's brewing?

We have a fancy little coffee machine. My husband makes lattes in the morning, I just drink one shot of espresso.

Any goodies to go with the coffee?

No goodies with the coffee. Just a kick start before Bella and I go for our walk. Then I’ll come back and eat breakfast.

Any treat for Bella on this occasion?

Well, her breakfast is a pretty amazing treat. She eats better most of us!

I've read that Bella prefers carrots to bacon. Can that possibly be true?

It’s true. She prefers carrots to bacon. But, she prefers beef and salmon to carrots.

How were you and Bella united?

Bella and I were united by a trainer who thought Bella had the right temperament to become a good canine cancer scent dog, and would be a great dog for me.

However, the breeder was going to ship her off to live with a family living in a small apartment in NYC. She changed her mind and that decision changed my life.

How did Bella get her name? Does she have any aliases?

Because she’s molto bella! She goes by Miss B, and too many silly names to mention in print.

Cat, squirrel, postman...?

She stares out the window watching the squirrels, but she gets totally riled up by the any delivery man. She becomes the attack dog when the UPS truck rolls down the street. She’s a smart dog. The more she barks, the more treats she gets.

Frisbee, squeaky-toy, stick...?

Bella loves her squeaky-toy. However, she loves nothing more than to chew on a stick or branch.

Who are Bella's best pet-pals?

Bella hangs with a floppy eared, loose lipped, slacked jaw, boy toy named Clyde who is a 3-year-old Blood Hound. They are quite the pair!

If Bella could change one thing about your children, what would it be?

There are no children in the house. She’s the dog child and the center of the universe. That’s the way she likes it.

What is Bella's best quality?

Her winning personality.

What is Bella's proudest moment? Her most embarrassing?

Her proudest moment would have to be starring in a video about the soup that was named after her — Bella’s Carrot Orange Fennel Soup.

Her most embarrassing moment: When she got caught red handed with a large wedge of Parmesan cheese.

Visit the official Rebecca Katz website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue